• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Typical contractor rates for being on-call

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Typical contractor rates for being on-call

I was wondering if anyone could provide some guidance on typical rates for being on-call.

At the moment, I get 4 hours pay for carrying the on-call phone for Saturday and Sunday 9am to 6pm. It was announced that the team I am contracting into will going forward have to provide 24/7 cover. So if you are on-call you will in additional to the normal working week be obliged to be available from 6pm to 9am Mon to Fri and the full 48 hours Sat and Sun. If you get a call, it could something that could be sorted on the phone you you would have to go on site and stay there until resolved.

However, the rates announced for this are 0.6 hours pay for each weekday night(15 hours cover) and 4 hours pay for weekend(48 hours cover) for carrying the phone and less that my current hourly rate for every hour while on site, which to me is rubbish compared with original rates.

What would be typical remuneration for providing this type of cover?

That doesn't sound very much to be honest.

Also, what happens if you want to go to the pub and might be too 'emotionally tired' to address work related issues?

Comment

Originally posted by paddytheirishman View Post
      However, the rates announced for this are 0.6 hours pay for each weekday night(15 hours cover) and 4 hours pay for weekend(48 hours cover) for carrying the phone and less that my current hourly rate for every hour while on site, which to me is rubbish compared with original rates.
      They're taking the piss. Decline to be on call, thanks. It's surely not worth it at that rate.

What does your contract say about being on call?
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Current contract just qoutes an hourly rate for work, no specific provisions for on-call. They are taking the piss, but that's the type of company they are. Agent hasn't been of much help either.

Comment

I was wondering if anyone could provide some guidance on typical rates for being on-call.

At the moment, I get 4 hours pay for carrying the on-call phone for Saturday and Sunday 9am to 6pm. It was announced that the team I am contracting into will going forward have to provide 24/7 cover. So if you are on-call you will in additional to the normal working week be obliged to be available from 6pm to 9am Mon to Fri and the full 48 hours Sat and Sun. If you get a call, it could something that could be sorted on the phone you you would have to go on site and stay there until resolved.

Depends on what you can get away with...

I have seen any thing from 1.3 to 2x daily rate for on call, and thats just for being on call, not the phone ringing and actually doing something.

The flip side is where you are ONLY paid if the phone rings which is now more common, then it is 1.3 for evening rate or 1.5 for after midnight.

Comment

This one comes up quite regularly and from what I can remember everyone takes a dim opinion of what is offered but we never see the client paying going rates or 'fair' compensation...

Here is a google search with a couple of pages of threads on this exact topic..

On Call Rate Discussions
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Less than your normal hourly rate for time on site is ridiculous.

But it's all about negotiation and how much you need the role right?

I'd be looking to bill from the time I leave the house too. And looking for remote access so you don't have to go on site (while billing your normal hourly rate or more).

If they want 24/7 they should be hiring people to do the work at normal rates (even if they are permies), not burning out existing staff/contractors and not even compensating them correctly.
              Last edited by jmo21; 8 November 2011, 13:20.

Comment

Last time I did it, it was 50% of hourly rate for being on call. Went to full rate if the phone rang with a min charge of two hours when called.
                When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                  Last time I did it, it was 50% of hourly rate for being on call. Went to full rate if the phone rang with a min charge of two hours when called.
                  That's what I would be asking for, if not more.

Being on call 24/7 is likely to go down badly with other half as well, so it'd better be worth it.

Comment

I generally take the same rate as the local guys for carrying the thing and then apply my daily rate if it goes off.

Comment

Working...
                    X