• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Investing - Going for a serious thread, wish me luck

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Investing - Going for a serious thread, wish me luck

First year of contracting was all about getting myself out of a hole when it comes to debt I had accumulated over the years, this is all well an under control so year two of contracting I want to look at the best way of investing my nest egg.

I am not after a quick return, I have only just turned 30 so long term investments break down to Property, Commodities, Shares and Cash

Property:

I have a house in Yorkshire, at the moment has about £30k equity, this will be let out speaking to friends on the estate I reckon I can cover the mortgage with potential rent, and have to invest about a small amount for maintaining the property etc.

Commodities:

Gold baby! As certain people on here would say, but whats the general deal, can it be all done on paper or is it a case of a safe deposit box at the bank full of krugerrands?

Shares:

At the moment I think certain shares are still massively under valued, especially the nationalised banks compared to the likes of HSBC or Barclays. In the past I used a service by American Express which was a website where I could buy and sell, but the fees involved were higher than normal, ideally I'd just like to sink in a load of cash and forget about it for 5 years.

Cash:

No brainer, max out ISA's every year which when going for a 5 year agreement can return 4-6%, but has the added advantage of being guaranteed.

Have I missed anything?

And before anyone say's it I will not be blindly trusting the reprobates on here and will be consulting an IFA.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Pension - go for a Sipp style product and use the full tax free allowance from your Ltd. then bugger off out of the UK for a while transfer to Qrops and remove dosh. I have been very simplistic and you should obviously take well qualified careful advice from TWO IFA's never just one , you get more than one insurance quote for your car so it always amazes me people will speak to just one IFA about financial planning.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      First year of contracting was all about getting myself out of a hole when it comes to debt I had accumulated over the years, this is all well an under control so year two of contracting I want to look at the best way of investing my nest egg.
      You went contracting whilst you had debt rather than a small warchest? Very brave if so. I saved up 6 months living expenses before I had the 'confidence' to jump..

Comment

Originally posted by doesNotCompute View Post
        You went contracting whilst you had debt rather than a small warchest? Very brave if so. I saved up 6 months living expenses before I had the 'confidence' to jump..
        I was pushed rather than jumped

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Have I missed anything?
          Dirty spekulating of course.
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            Dirty spekulating of course.
            I am not after a quick return, I have only just turned 30 so long term investments

HTH

Comment

Yes shares are reasonably valued. I would not invest in banking shares. My observation is whatever is at the centre of the crash stays down for a long time. If you look at tech shares after the boom in 2000 they all crashed and stayed down. The Nikkei was 60 in the early 90,s nearly 20 years later it is around 12 or 13. Banks are now facing much more regulation, so they won't bounce back to where they were. I would invest in everything but banks, especially mining and energy stocks. There's nothing more reassuring than investing in a company that has mountain ranges in it's balance sheet.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Buy a house in Wandsworth.

You've only got to look at sasguru's posts to see the joy this will bring to you.

Comment

I am not after a quick return, I have only just turned 30 so long term investments

HTH
                  I would suggest opening with a portfolio of vodka, this can be slowly worked through and is considered low risk.

Then for middle risk, I would go with cannabis plants. You can grow, smoke and sell. Perhaps purchase an ice cream van to sell your gear.

High risk. Move into the old cocoa marching powder. May have to hire yourself some muscle, put other contracting types will pay through the nose(nose geddit) for it.

Super High risk - Human trafficking. Start bringing in young Eastern European girls, set them up in your BTL and sell them for a tenner a go to desperate old men(there is no shortage on here).

You'll make a fortune, and as you've already said you're only 30 so if you feck up a 5 stretch won't take too much out of you.

hth

MF
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Zopa?
                    We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it.
                    - Douglas Adams

Comment

Working...
                    X