• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another Red Arrows pilot dead

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Red Arrows pilot dead

BBC News - Red Arrows pilot killed in incident at RAF Scampton

From the limited amount of info out so far it sounds like an ejector seat malfunction. No talk about a plane crash.

An uncommanded ejection perhaps. Modern ejector seats should be safe to operate stationary on the ground.
    Me, me, me...

Comment

These things come in threes.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
        An uncommanded ejection perhaps.
        That happens to me quite a lot.
        I went to see the doctor about it, but he just said I should stop thinking about pork pies all the time, and have a cold bath...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
          An uncommanded ejection perhaps.
          I'd ground the fleet if I thought it were true.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Dear God that's horrendous.

My Dad used to be a Chief Tech Armourer responsible for the Martin Baker ejection seats in the aircraft his team maintained.

The horror stories he (partially) told us when these things go wrong.

At least it would have been quick.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Quick, and he (she?) went doing the thing they loved. Worse for the ones left behind.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                My Dad used to be a Chief Tech Armourer responsible for the Martin Baker ejection seats in the aircraft his team maintained.
                MB tried to employ me once to assess risk and safety. My rate was too high apparently.

As companies look to save money they risk adopting an US attitude to quality, it's scary.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Sad news indeed. Fantastic bunch of guys and skilled pilots. Met 5 of the arrows (and other test pilots) when I worked on Hawk AJT.
                  Both incidents this year have involved suspect seats.
                  They should be grounded while safety checks are carried out.
                  Maybe upgrading the team to the latest Hawks instead of the old clunkers they fly at the moment would be a good idea.

The seats should be safe for the pilot even from a ground launch.
                  Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Working...
                  X