• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Y'all call that Doomed?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Y'all call that Doomed?

Bunga-Climate coming

The world is likely to build so many new fossil-fuelled power stations, energy-guzzling factories and inefficient buildings in the next five years that it will become impossible to hold global warming to safe levels, and the last chance of combating dangerous climate change will be "lost for ever", according to the most thorough analysis yet of world energy infrastructure.
    I blame George Bush, Anthony Watts, Jeremy Clarkson and Blaster Bates.
    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Enjoy the rep.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

There's an interesting new book on the IPCC.

A few good reviews:

Professor Judith Curry gives this book a thumbs up:

Laframboise on the IPCC | Climate Etc.

a quote or two from the book

How can a young man without even a Masters degree become an IPCC lead author? Good question. . . Rather than recruiting real experts like Reiter the IPCC enlisted young, inexperienced, non-experts instead
      One day the IPCC may come to be seen as a textbook case of how badly things can go wrong when political amateurs are recruited and manipulated by UN-grade political operatives.”
      Honestly. The IPCC was established by politicians, its experts are selected by politicians, and its conclusions are negotiated by politicians. A predetermined political agenda has been part of the landscape for the past 20 years. For [anyone] to whine that people who disagree with the IPCC are motivated by politics is the equivalent of someone who has lived by the sword complaining that they might die by it
      also an excellent review by Professor Ross McKitrick.

As much as it took courage for Donna Laframboise to write this remarkable book, it will likely take even more courage for people to read it, for it shatters one of the most passionately-held illusions of the modern age. The IPCC is widely believed to be an authoritative, trustworthy source of scientific information on climate change. Billions of dollars worth of policy decisions have been made around the world based on this assumption. But in this quietly devastating exposé, investigative journalist Donna Laframboise shows that the IPCC's actual operations bear little resemblance to its public reputation; that far from being an open network of top experts it has turned itself into a narrow clique of like-minded activists; and that its reports have come to be more like agenda-driven propaganda than competent, objective scientific assessments. If you have suspected these things yourself, you will want to read this book. If the idea upsets or offends you, you need to read this book. Its implications are far-reaching and the need to begin acting on them is urgent. I congratulate Donna Laframboise for her outstanding investigation of this complex issue and I recommend this book highly.
      Ross McKitrick, Professor of Economics, University of Guelph
      Last edited by BlasterBates; 9 November 2011, 13:10.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
        Bunga-Climate coming

A warmer world sounds lovely, bring it on. Nice dip in the warm sea, nice warm breeze....drive along the coast road in my 7 litre V8 4x4, engine thrumming, CO2 gently warming the planet. mmmm, lovely.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          A warmer world sounds lovely, bring it on. Nice dip in the warm sea, nice warm breeze....drive along the coast road in my 7 litre V8 4x4, engine thrumming, CO2 gently warming the planet. mmmm, lovely.

You still haven't got round to learning about style then?
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            You still haven't got round to learning about style then?
            The shrimpy one prefers bling to style.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
              Bunga-Climate coming

I blame George Bush, Anthony Watts, Jeremy Clarkson and Blaster Bates.
              Sorry pj, there's more important things going on in the world right now.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Sorry pj, there's more important things going on in the world right now.
                Like pretty much everything else.

I don't think anyone really cares about an imaginary, computer modelled world 500 years from now being on average .1 deg C warmer in no particular place, even if it were in any shape of form certain.

Compared to global economic collapse, war, disease, unsustainable human population, terrorism, poverty, large scale natural disasters etc.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  Like pretty much everything else.

I don't think anyone really cares about an imaginary, computer modelled world 500 years from now being on average .1 deg C warmer in no particular place, even if it were in any shape of form certain.

Compared to global economic collapse, war, disease, unsustainable human population, terrorism, poverty, large scale natural disasters etc.
                  Actually, there's less war and murder around right now than at any time in human history. OK, the absolute numbers of deaths are higher than in the past, because there are more people, but the chances of being killed by another person, either in a one to one murder or as part of a wider conflict, are lower than ever. Human population growth is slowing, and the panic stories of an unsustainable population are being exposed; urbanisation will mean it's doubtful whether the population will even reach 9 billion, never mind 10 or more billion.

Disease; now that's a tricky one. If we keep using up antibiotics quicker than new ones can be developed, or we don't find a good alternative, then we might well be in deep tulip; that would cut the population though. Perhaps a good idea to stop the mass use of antibiotics in farming.

Terrorism; well, that seems to be going downhill too.

Large scale natural disasters; tulip happens, but your chance of survival is higher than ever.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Nature prefers a warmer world as it increases bio-diversity
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X