• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Eurozone's growth has stalled

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought I start a thread about EU doom and leave the UK (The shining beacon of light that it is according to SAS) alone.

So what to the British press have to offer us today. Today's stories.

Greece debt crisis

Germany and France 'discussing' radical overhaul of EU

Italy pushed into the abyss

And when they're not talking about the EU it's

UK property value at risk

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      I thought I start a thread about EU doom and leave the UK (The shining beacon of light that it is according to SAS) alone.
      I have a prosperous life ina green part of London, with family and plenty of friends and enjoy my access to all the amenities of the greatest city on the world: its pubs, parks, museums, theatre, galleries.

You have a lonely existence in a poky one-bed in dour Germany.

I would draw tha ppropriate conclusions if I were you.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
        If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation.

How is the situation likely to affect joe public in the UK? Loss of jobs, loss of savings, higher debt rates?

I'm feeling pretty insulated against any fallout, having no debt and a warchest big enough to last a few years of no work.

Busy spreading the warchest around the best easy access savings accounts I can find, each protected by the FSCS under a different banking licence to spread the risk and minimise inconvenience if any go tits up. So if I lose it all then everyone in the UK is likely to be f'd anyway.

I'd put most of it into a bungalow for my parents but waiting to see how far and fast prices fall over the next few months. Some they're interested in have dropped 10k or more in the last couple of months, so heading in the right direction.
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          I have a prosperous life ina green part of London, with family and plenty of friends and enjoy my access to all the amenities of the greatest city on the world: its pubs, parks, museums, theatre, galleries.

You have a lonely existence in a poky one-bed in dour Germany.

I would draw tha ppropriate conclusions if I were you.
          Your keyboard is broken?

Munich is incredibly green, not to mention that it's incredibly easy to get out to some proper countryside (the alps are only an hour away), and it has the best beer and beer houses in the world bar none. It also has some fine museums and galleries, the Deutsche museum (science and technology) being particularly good. One of the highlights of my time there was being in the same room as all of Kandinsky's surviving "compositions" including those that usually live in the pompidou and guggenheim. It also has the advantage of being much easier to enjoy these things because it's smaller and less crowded.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            Your keyboard is broken?

Munich is incredibly green, not to mention that it's incredibly easy to get out to some proper countryside (the alps are only an hour away), and it has the best beer and beer houses in the world bar none. It also has some fine museums and galleries, the Deutsche museum (science and technology) being particularly good. One of the highlights of my time there was being in the same room as all of Kandinsky's surviving "compositions" including those that usually live in the pompidou and guggenheim. It also has the advantage of being much easier to enjoy these things because it's smaller and less crowded.
            Oi! Shut it! You're supposed to tell them Germany's an overpriced tulipheap and everyone there stinks!

Ignore doodab; Munich is a dump, it has open sewers where the maggot infested diarrhoea of tramps flows like a river, the restaurants serve nothing but Soylent Green, the whores all have a new, airborne variant of VD and the sausages are infected with ebola. Don't go there!
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              Your keyboard is broken?

I've been to Munich*. Quite liked it, as I like most of Germany. Shame it's full of Germans though.

And in the rest of Germany: Berlin, several times, the Black Forest, Heidelberg, Cologne, The Rhine Valley, Bonn, Frankfurt (several times), Dresden, Erfurt, Liepzig (the latter 3 when the East was still the East)
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

I've been to Munich*. Quite liked it, as I like most of Germany. Shame it's full of Germans though.

Look at me everybody!

Did mum deny you breast milk?
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

Look at me everybody!

Did mum deny you breast milk?
                  You seem rather excited. Is that becuase you thought you were the first person ever to go to Munich, as your naive posts seem to indicate?
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

You seem rather excited.
                    Certainly am, judge a man through his actions not his words, and you delivered on par!

Comment

Working...
                    X