• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Remembrance Day Respect vs Liberty Poll - which is more dangerous to society?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remembrance Day Respect vs Liberty Poll - which is more dangerous to society?

Discuss
    Burning poppies on Remembrance Day
    35.29%
    Making burning poppies on Remembrance Day punishable by up to 10 years
    47.06%
    Andy W's burning love poppy
    17.65%

The poll is expired.

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Discuss
    Bit two edged isn't it. Racial or religious hatred has been sited in the past for the burning of the poppy, but it's neither of those as Wills pointed out to FIFA.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

A tough one to call.

While I always buy a poppy, I can't help feeling that there is a growing sense of mawkishness every year associated with the whole thing.

That and having to be seen to be doing the right thing so you can pat yourself on the back are why the England football team are running out with poppies tomorrow.

It's just becoming the same as all the other emblems of different charities that people wear to make themselves feel good.

Comment

I don't get the poppy thing at all, it's all history are we to linger in the past miseries every year? Couldn't care less if someone burns them or not, it's all ballocks.

Comment

The Poppy burners are the same ones who were going to march at Wooton Basset but cried off once they had the publicity. I suspect they may have been blic spritibanned to prevent them from getting a major shoeing if they really tried it again this year - I think they should be allowed to go ahead, with the proviso that due to budget constraints, the Police might be a little slow in getting to them before public-spirited ordinary folk.

Comment

Nothing wrong with Remembering the fallen. Had we been born in different times then it might have been our generation making such sacrifices. I give to the RBL every year, and also to Help for Heroes on occasion.
            However, latterly I have opted not to openly wear a Poppy. For one thing they are fiddly things to put on, but more importantly, I am rebelling in my own way against the Poppy Fascists that seem to have started dictating that the wearing of one is almost somehow mandatory these days.
            To me, this flies in the face of what the sacrifice was all about. The maintenance of Freedom of Choice.
            Both of my grandfathers took part in WWI. One on the Western Front and the other at Gallipoli.
            I shall be observing a minute's quiet reflection come the 11th hour. That is the personal choice I will be making, and I would urge others to do the same, and not feel pressured into commemorating the occasion in any way deemed suitable by political opportunists and charlatans.
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
              I don't get the poppy thing at all, it's all history are we to linger in the past miseries every year? Couldn't care less if someone burns them or not, it's all ballocks.
              You should perhaps reflect on the fact that your current freedom to be a complete khoont was actually hard won, and not by you.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

The news these days seems to be filled with what people think on twitter as if that is news itself.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  You should perhaps reflect on the fact that your current freedom to be a complete khoont was actually hard won, and not by you.
                  WHS
                  Bazza gets caught
                  Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    Freedom? Being forced every year into reflecting on one of hundreds of wars throughout history, and if you say otherwise you are branded a khoont?

Oh no they are having a 2 mins silence here.

Comment

Working...
                    X