• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CV Tips

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CV Tips

Why your tech CV sucks ? The Register

A very scathing critque of what you should NOT do with your CV
    Coffee's for closers

Quite amusing, but the reason we send CVs in Word format is because the agents complain when we send in PDF - because they can't edit PDF.

I propose we find Dominic Connor, and all send him our CVs, printed on blue paper...
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I would have thought my 'grading' of the projects I have worked on would get me to the top of the pile ....

er

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        Quite amusing, but the reason we send CVs in Word format is because the agents complain when we send in PDF - because they can't edit PDF.

I propose we find Dominic Connor, and all send him our CVs, printed on blue paper...
        WHS. I tried sending it in PDF once and got a load of grief for it.

Of course, he could switch off spell and grammar checking when looking at CVs if it offends so much.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          Of course, he could switch off spell and grammar checking when looking at CVs if it offends so much.
          I think the point is, he doesn't want to forward CV's which are badly spelt. The article was for YOUR benefit not his; badly spelt, written and presented CV's hit the bin.
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            I think the point is, he doesn't want to forward CV's which are badly spelt. The article was for YOUR benefit not his; badly spelt, written and presented CV's hit the bin.
            Moaning that you've sent it in Word, though???

I'm sure that there are plenty of words which are correctly spelt in my CV which Microsoft don't recognise as valid. Possibly because I'm sending a technical CV which covers things which aren't "real" words.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              Moaning that you've sent it in Word, though???
              He's moaning about the fact that its sent in Word without the candidate bothering to run the built in spell check over it even though it automatically highlights bad spelling and grammar.
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Actually this is quite interesting. I have more than 11 years experience and the first years were like Mainframe, COBOL, DB2 etc. I have also worked on a lot of contracts in the years, so my CV is like 10 pages long, which some agents might say is too long. Do you guys list all the project from when you started out, or lets say just the last 5 years to keep the CV more concise?

Comment

Originally posted by farout117 View Post
                  Actually this is quite interesting. I have more than 11 years experience and the first years were like Mainframe, COBOL, DB2 etc. I have also worked on a lot of contracts in the years, so my CV is like 10 pages long, which some agents might say is too long. Do you guys list all the project from when you started out, or lets say just the last 5 years to keep the CV more concise?
                  That's a perrmie contract.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by farout117 View Post
                    10 pages?! Yeah, I think some agents might say it's too long, the rest might just not bother saying anything at all. Crikey, even with your depth of experience, 10 pages is way too long I'd have thought. Maybe try to get it down to 4 pages for a start and then see how that pans out?

Comment

Working...
                    X