PDA

View Full Version : Roast chicken tomorrow

Cliphead
11th November 2011, 19:27
Let's hear yer recipes, tips and anything else relevent.

TimberWolf
11th November 2011, 19:28
Go down to Sainsbury's, point, and say - "that one"?

Cliphead
11th November 2011, 19:42
Go down to Sainsbury's, point, and say - "that one"?

Better than Asda or Tesco for sure but I'll be getting fresh from a local farmer. Simple dish of course but what makes it that wee bit special?

suityou01
11th November 2011, 19:46
Better than Asda or Tesco for sure but I'll be getting fresh from a local farmer. Simple dish of course but what makes it that wee bit special?

Why not try some home made stuffing? Jamie Oliver has a recipe I think.

<checks>

OK so his perfect roast chicken is here (http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chicken-recipes/perfect-roast-chicken)

Although I think I have seen somewhere where you can seperate the skin from the breast (before cooking) and put your own stuffing in the gap, sort of made from pork mince, herbs and chopped apricots.

Tatties done in beef dripping obviously.

Nice red wine. Yes red wine. For drinking while cooking. :D

MarillionFan
11th November 2011, 19:47

Yep. Sunday lunch at the pub.

Cliphead
11th November 2011, 19:49

On a Saturday. Oh Dearâ„¢

suityou01
11th November 2011, 19:49

Cliphead lives in AuchenFuchtyMuchty. Nearest pub is 100 miles away by goat. :D

Cliphead
11th November 2011, 19:50
Tony lives in AuchenFuchtyMuchty. Nearest pub is 100 miles away by goat. :D

Not far from the truth there :laugh

minestrone
11th November 2011, 20:04
I once put 90 cloves of garlic into a roast chicken.

I think I have a picture somewhere of the spectacle.

MarillionFan
11th November 2011, 20:09
On a Saturday. Oh Dearâ„¢

Alzheimers sufferers think everyday is Sunday

Zippy
11th November 2011, 20:10
Is it a "special" dinner CH?
I may be strange but I like plain roast chicken with a bit of black pepper sprinkled on it.
My advice would be to tart up the veg and don't dick with the chicken.

Cliphead
11th November 2011, 20:20

Yep, maybe more than the chicken will get trussed.

Trad veg or something different?

TheFaQQer
11th November 2011, 20:28

At times like this, you should always ask yourself - what would Delia do (http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/cuisine/european/english/traditional-roast-chicken-with-apple-sage-and-onion-stuffing-cranberry-and-sage-sauce-and-chicken-giblet-gravy.html)?

And since you'll be getting the chicken from the farmer, turn the liver into a nice chicken liver pate with a hint of brandy.

sasguru
11th November 2011, 20:29
Mix some rosemary, garlic, lemon juice, butter, cayenne pepper, paprika, salt and pepper in a bowl.
Can't tell you how much because I play it by taste and experience
Use your judgement and whetehr it tastes right.

Coat the chicken with this mixture. Put some water in the bottom of the roasting pan to prevent the bottom burning as the juices drip from the chicken.

Roast in the oven, basting with the pan juices/water until cooked golden brown and a cooking thermometer registers 170F in the thigh of the chicken.

Enjoy

suityou01
11th November 2011, 20:30

:laugh

d000hg
Is it a "special" dinner CH? Don't dick with the chicken.Sage advice.

TheFaQQer

Roasted veg - potatoes, parsnip, squash, carrots all with a hint of garlic.

Fresh, crunchy broccoli or cauliflower. Leeks lightly fried in butter.

Avoid sprouts.

Zippy
11th November 2011, 20:31

These (http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/74608/buttered-sprouts-with-chestnuts-and-bacon) look good. Might not be very romantic on Sunday (but will be aromatic) :laugh
Maybe you could do some roasted Mediterranian veg instead?

suityou01
11th November 2011, 20:31
Mix some rosemary, garlic, lemon juice, butter, cayenne pepper, paprika, salt and pepper in a bowl.
Can't tell you how much because I play it by taste and experience
Use your judgement and whetehr it tastes right.

Coat the chicken with this mixture. Put some water in the bottom of the roasting pan to prevent the bottom burning as the juices drip from the chicken.

Roast in the oven, basting with the pan juices/water until cooked golden brown and a cooking thermometer registers 170F in the thigh of the chicken.

Enjoy

Sorry, sorry, sorry. Recipes tips from SASGuru. :laugh:laugh:laugh

A little pee came out. :rollin::rollin:

TheFaQQer
11th November 2011, 20:32
I also stick the chicken / turkey on some inch thick slices of potato, so that any juices drip and you don't end up with a soggy-bottomed bird.

Throw the potatoes out at the end, as they won't be nice.

sasguru
11th November 2011, 20:33
Sorry, sorry, sorry. Recipes tips from SASGuru. :laugh:laugh:laugh

A little pee came out. :rollin::rollin:

Among my other talents I happen to be a very good cook.
The proof of the pudding is in the eating.
HTH

Zippy
11th November 2011, 20:34
I also stick the chicken / turkey on some inch thick slices of potato, so that any juices drip and you don't end up with a soggy-bottomed bird.

Throw the potatoes out at the end, as they won't be nice.

Fnaar, fnaar.

Sorry, don't know what came over me.

TheFaQQer
11th November 2011, 20:35
Fnaar, fnaar.

You been with the horses again?

suityou01
11th November 2011, 20:36
Among my other talents I happen to be a very good cook.
The proof of the pudding is in the eating.
HTH

And I don't doubt it SAS. Sorry. You come across very old school male on here. Fair play to you old son.

It does give me a thought for a thread about "EU Bailout Pie". I wonder what the recipe could be. :D

suityou01
11th November 2011, 20:37
Fnaar, fnaar.

Probably a ZipMog :rolleyes:

Zippy
11th November 2011, 20:42
You been with the horses again?

Probably a ZipMog :rolleyes:

Smegma heads

Anyway, as long as CH serves decent wine and a fresh fruit dessert I'm sure all will be well.

MaryPoppins
11th November 2011, 20:43
I may be strange but I like plain roast chicken with a bit of black pepper sprinkled on it.
My advice would be to tart up the veg and don't dick with the chicken.

Yeah. I concur. Don't dick with the chicken.

sasguru
11th November 2011, 20:43
And I don't doubt it SAS. Sorry. You come across very old school male on here. Fair play to you old son.

It does give me a thought for a thread about "EU Bailout Pie". I wonder what the recipe could be. :D

Being patronised by Suity. I must have hit rock bottom. :laugh:suicide:

Cliphead
11th November 2011, 20:46

I'd never dick a chicken :eek:

Seems it's all in the veg and some subtlety with the chook.

suityou01
11th November 2011, 20:46
Being patronised by Suity. I must have hit rock bottom. :laugh:suicide:

he he he :D

Cliphead
11th November 2011, 20:48
Smegma heads

Anyway, as long as CH serves decent wine and a fresh fruit dessert I'm sure all will be well.

Always a good wine but haven't decided on that yet, my preferred dessert is always fruit based cooked or fresh.

suityou01
11th November 2011, 20:49
Always a good wine but haven't decided on that yet, my preferred dessert is always fruit based cooked or fresh.

I thought it was always a fruit based drink for the lady?

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Media/Pix/pictures/2008/06/03/AlMurray460.jpg

Cliphead
11th November 2011, 20:51
I thought it was always a fruit based drink for the lady?

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Media/Pix/pictures/2008/06/03/AlMurray460.jpg

If Rohypnol is derived from some citrus derivitive then sorted.

PRC1964
11th November 2011, 20:55
Get some butter, salt, pepper, garlic and herbs, mix them up and then use a spoon to push them between the skin and the fleshall over the breast then roast as normal. You'll wind up with moist seasoned chicken rather than dry tasteless breast.

NB: This will probably not work on a battery chicken as the skin will rip.

suityou01
11th November 2011, 20:57
If Rohypnol is derived from some citrus derivitive then sorted.

No, that's the "special" coffee you serve at the end. :laugh

MarillionFan
11th November 2011, 20:59
I'd never dick a chicken :eek:

Seems it's all in the veg and some subtlety with the chook.

You need a lot of masking tape.

Freamon
11th November 2011, 21:24
Normal stuffing from a box but with finely chopped onion and apricots (not too much) mixed in.

Add some sticks of carrot, quartered onion, celery and bay leaves to the roast potatoes, place them under the chicken to get roasted veg.

TestMangler
11th November 2011, 21:34

Absolutely, especially if you intend to eat it afterwards :smile

portseven
11th November 2011, 21:42
Rub it with a mixture of mango chutney and butter, and put a couple of parboiled lemons in the hole

Freamon
11th November 2011, 23:25
One final important tip: Basting. That is all.

Sysman
12th November 2011, 00:41
Why not try some home made stuffing? Jamie Oliver has a recipe I think.

<checks>

OK so his perfect roast chicken is here (http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chicken-recipes/perfect-roast-chicken)

Ah, he's nicked my idea of a lemon up the chicken's bum. The lemon flavour spreads right through the chicken, yum yum. You can also try an orange for variety. Makes mental note to try it with lime sometime.

Sysman
12th November 2011, 00:46

Ditto. Plum crumble last weekend and it was delicious.

suityou01
12th November 2011, 08:55
Ditto. Plum crumble last weekend and it was delicious.

This is such a great thread.

I would like to add to the usual CUK meme

Do you like films about gladiators.
Have you tried bleeding the radiators?
Have you tried inserting some parboiled lemons?
If you have, does your plum crumble?

:rollin::rollin:

norrahe
12th November 2011, 09:16
2 heads of garlic for me, I find lemon often gets too bitter. Baste the chicken in dripping (duck fat is always good).

To make the gravy, some noilly prat, good chicken stock and some buerre manier to thicken.

I always keep the chicken carcass to make stock.

norrahe
12th November 2011, 09:18
2 heads of garlic for me, I find lemon often gets too bitter. Baste the chicken in dripping (duck fat is always good).

To make the gravy, some noilly prat, good chicken stock and some buerre manier to thicken.

I always keep the chicken carcass to make stock.

For the perfect roast chicken recipe, go for Nigel Slater. The lemon that JO references is a Nigella speciality.

Arturo Bassick
12th November 2011, 09:56
Cook it like this using your favourite beer (Large can or 1/2 litre bottle). I like a German dunkel weiss bier myself. Keeps the chicken lovely and moist.

http://www.mcfats.com/images/beer-roasted-chicken3.mcfats.com.jpg

Cliphead
12th November 2011, 11:36
Thanks all for the links and tips. I'm off shopping for the bits and splurging out on yet another Euromillions win, only a fiver this time.

doodab
12th November 2011, 16:51
Start with the best chicken you can find. Bit of salt and pepper sprinkled on, stick it in the oven. Take it out and baste it a couple of times, par boil some potatoes and pop them in with 30 mins to go (or just chuck them in 45 minutes beforehand).

Take it out to rest when it's done and drain the water from the carrots into the roasting pan, give it a good stir to get all the gloop off the bottom, and use that to make the gravy. You want to pour into a glass, let it settle and skim the fat off, then use the rest to make the gravy.

If you are going to use the carcass to make soup save one of the legs as well, the end result is much nicer + you can pull the meat off and put it in the soup. You can also make a more exotic soup base with a bit of star anise and ginger and a splash of rice wine vinegar in place of the usual bay leaves and black pepper.

mudskipper
12th November 2011, 18:46

If you're trying to impress a laydee, I'd go chocolate.

MarillionFan
12th November 2011, 19:33
Ah, he's nicked my idea of a lemon up the chicken's bum. The lemon flavour spreads right through the chicken, yum yum. You can also try an orange for variety. Makes mental note to try it with lime sometime.

I believe Cliphead has tried sticking a lemon up his arse before, while sucking on an orange.:emb

Cliphead
12th November 2011, 22:02
I believe Cliphead has tried sticking a lemon up his arse before, while sucking on an orange.:emb

:banana:

Sorted.

mudskipper
12th November 2011, 22:36

Sorted.

What ye doing posting at 10:02 on a Saturday night? Didn't she fall for the hapless chef routine?

(You should have done chocolate mousse for dessert...)

Cliphead
12th November 2011, 22:41
What ye doing posting at 10:02 on a Saturday night? Didn't she fall for the hapless chef routine?

(You should have done chocolate mousse for dessert...)

Was never going to be an all nighter. Dinner was a hit and the profiteroles clinched it in between 'courses'. Reciprocal dinner at her place tomorrow :happy

mudskipper
12th November 2011, 22:45
Was never going to be an all nighter. Dinner was a hit and the profiteroles clinched it in between 'courses'. Reciprocal dinner at her place tomorrow :happy

Troll
13th November 2011, 00:35
Was never going to be an all nighter. Dinner was a hit and the profiteroles clinched it in between 'courses'. Reciprocal dinner at her place tomorrow :happyso you didn't pull!

:frown

russell
13th November 2011, 09:32

You better seal the deal soon or you enter friends zone. Nxt time try ryhipnol cake surprise.

Cliphead
13th November 2011, 09:45
You better seal the deal soon or you enter friends zone.

Way past that stage :wink

suityou01
13th November 2011, 16:52

Hopefully a fish course. :laugh

wobbegong
14th November 2011, 11:56
so you didn't pull!

:frown

He probably did . . . erm, in a manner of speaking.

:wink

:igmc:

norrahe
14th November 2011, 12:42
Way past that stage :wink

Roast chicken never fails! :banana:

Freamon
14th November 2011, 20:19
Roast chicken never fails! :banana:

My meat balls usually go down pretty well with the ladies.

Cliphead
14th November 2011, 20:20
My meat balls usually go down pretty well with the ladies.

With or without a sauce? We need to know the secret.