• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Every currency needs a lender of last resort

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Every currency needs a lender of last resort

According to Silvio Berlusconi in The Times this morning. The ECB should be that lender, but Germany oppose it - presumably as mass euro printing hurts their export market.

Then again, Italy circling the plug hole ultimately could hurt their export market - so to that end it's arguing with itself really.

That said, the EFSF has been forced into buying up it's own debt, and the BRIC nations won't invest in such a "lazy" europe, where we all retire at 50 and only pay tax when we volunteer it (finger pointed at Greece and Italy here).

So the options are :

Italy goes bust
    ECB prints Euros
    Germany bails out Italy
    IMF prints SDRs and tops up the EFSF
    EFSF leverages it's coppers with handouts from China.

Whichever of those options pans out, the end game is still the same. A much more tightly integrated europe. And Merkel this morning stating we should embrace our political unity.

The euro is on life support for the benefit of Germany. No wonder no one is interested in helping out.
    Last edited by suityou01; 14 November 2011, 10:14.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Italy's 10 year bond rate is dropping, now at 6.4 I think the change of governments has averted the crisis. I think Italy will be ok now and Greece will take the bailout. Nothing much needs to be done now for a few years.

People who are still banging on about it are doom merchants with agendas.
    Last edited by russell; 14 November 2011, 10:17.

Comment

There is another option, one that Ireland followed and is currently getting them out of the sh*te; become competitive. This what they should do. Why should the Germans bail them out, they´ve already gone through these reforms, up to these countries to do their homework. ECB should only be a lender of last resort after:

1) Italy raises retirement age to 67
      2) Sacks all it´s over paid useless civil servants
      3) Sells off publicly owned assets
      4) Reduces red tape
      5) Clams down on the Union and allows temporary employment contracts

...and a few more to boot.

Once they´ve done all of the above, then the ECB could be a lender of last resort. I don´t buy into "no reform, just devalue, spend even more until you really do go bankrupt" really.
      Last edited by BlasterBates; 14 November 2011, 10:21.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        According to Silvio Berlusconi in The Times this morning. The ECB should be that lender, but Germany oppose it - presumably as mass euro printing hurts their export market
        Would it? I'd have though printing more trillions of Euros would devalue the currency, and hence Germany would boom from exports. However, if the ECB bails out Italy this way, German may feel dangerously high inflation which could develop into a Weimar hyperinflation scenario.....

Wage inflation,... bring your wheelbarrow.

No you can't have Xbox, take your sister and little brother and go play with your pocket money.

Cheaper to burn euros than to buy firewood this winter.

Comment

[QUOTE=CheeseSlice;1426916]

Wage inflation,... bring your wheelbarrow.

Whats this hyperinflation? I thought all contractors took their wages home in a wheelbarrow?
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
            Italy's 10 year bond rate is dropping, now at 6.4 I think the change of governments has averted the crisis. I think Italy will be ok now and Greece will take the bailout. Nothing much needs to be done now for a few years.

People who are still banging on about it are doom merchants with agendas.
            You're vying with Lord Haw Haw for the Village Idiot of CUK nomination.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              You're vying with Lord Haw Haw for the Village Idiot of CUK nomination.
              I wouldn't even try and compete with you, the winner 6 years in a row.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                According to Silvio Berlusconi in The Times this morning.
                Says the former leader of this Month's "Borrower of last resort", despite valiant challenges being put in by Greece, Spain, and Portugal.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I liked this thread better when it was Currenty!
                  Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Working...
                  X