• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Talk about Caveat Emptor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talk about Caveat Emptor

The Power Jack 3500 Watt inverter - buyers beware!

What a little death trap.

Must have been designed by some of my ex esteemed customers.

Thank goodness the fuses survived.

Comment

So he bought a cheap product from Taiwan and it was crap. SHOCKER!

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
        So he bought a cheap product from Taiwan and it was crap. SHOCKER!
        No - read it.

He bought an expensive product from Taiwan because it was meant to be better than the cheap ones from China, and it was crap.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Talking about caveat emptor (and apologies for changing the subject), I was looking into buying a VHS-to-PC conversion cable with related software.

I don't see how any of those which plug into the USB port can possibly work on Windows Vista and Windows 7, because Microsoft removed USB streaming from these, stating that only Firewire was suitable for that purpose.

Anyone tried anything like Roxio's system on Windows 7 for example? They claim their product works on Windows 7.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            Thank goodness the fuses survived.
            They usually do.

It's the expensive silicon that blows up instead.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              No - read it.

He bought an expensive product from Taiwan because it was meant to be better than the cheap ones from China, and it was crap.
              And crap in some truly ingenious ways.

He knows a lot more about that stuff than I do.

Never even heard of walking flux before.

Comment

I sense a plan B ....

What does an upmarket inverter retail for
                What did the Power Jack pos retail for

What would be the cost of decent gubbins to make a good but cheaper 3500w inverter

My guess would be sufficient margin to turn a profit

Set your final year students a Project to design,produce and originate the marketing stuff for a campaign

Steal the best design & rebrand as
                ZG inverters "power to the gentry"

• Sockpuppet to do the distribution
                • DA to do the selling
                • Girlies to make the tea
                • DP to supply the startup capital

I'm sure we have others on this board involved in manufacturing and the other bits needed

Inverters are riding on the green energy band wagon - fill yer boots!
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                  I sense a plan B ....
                  First thing to order:

Sticky CE (Chinese Export) labels for the case.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    I don't see how any of those which plug into the USB port can possibly work on Windows Vista and Windows 7, because Microsoft removed USB streaming from these, stating that only Firewire was suitable for that purpose.

Anyone tried anything like Roxio's system on Windows 7 for example? They claim their product works on Windows 7.
                    With USB 2 it should be fine. If it's digitising and encoding to MPEG2 the output will be a maximum of 11-12 megabits per second (which is enough for full DVD quality + including 5.1 soundtrack) and well within the capabilities of USB2. I have a USB TV stick that does S-video & composite as well and that works just fine (hauppauge HVR-900 if you are interested)
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                    X