• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Bench vol. XCVIII

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Bench vol. XCVIII

This flu jab is making me feel rather bleurgh Next time I'll try the one that prevents it instead
    • Why Is China Building These Gigantic Structures In the Middle of the Desert? - "This is crazy. New photos have appeared in Google Maps showing unidentified titanic structures in the middle of the Chinese desert." Be afraid... or maybe not. Nobody's sure except the Chinese.

• The (Second Phase of the) Revolution Has Begun - "Mosaic is clumsy but extraordinarily fun. With Mosaic, the online world appears to be a vast, interconnected universe of information... the ingenious network that you see with Mosaic has been around for several years. It is called the World Wide Web, and it was developed by a group of programmers at the European Particle Physics Laboratory (more commonly known by its old French acronym, CERN, for Conseil Europeen pour la Recherche Nucleaire) led by Oxford graduate Tim Berners-Lee." Wired magazine in October 1994, explaining the web to its readership. Nice to see that some of the example links at the end still work, such as Gallery of Interactive Geometry: "In order to enjoy this exhibit, you will need a Web browser that understands graphical Fill-Out Forms."

• It's not like The Bill - A beginner's guide to being arrested, part one of an ongoing series by legal blogger Kim Evans. "...the most common reason I hear for a solicitor being declined is: ‘I don’t need one, I haven’t done anything wrong’... My view is that the more innocent you are, the more important it is that you have a solicitor."

• Earth | Time Lapse View from Space, Fly Over | NASA, ISS - More astonishing time lapse video of the Earth from space; another one for full-screen, HD, darkened room viewing.

• How to Fix a Hacked WordPress Blog - "Fixing a hacked WordPress blog isn’t easy if you’re just a blogger with little technical experience. In my experience with clients, web hosting companies usually aren’t much help – because their experience with WordPress is limited (whether they’re ‘WordPress friendly’ or not). Their experience fixing a compromised or infected WP site and hardening security is usually non-existant. Like most technical support personnel – their job is to close your ticket as quickly as possible, not to get to the “root cause” of your infected and hacked blog. Without actually figuring out how your site was hacked, odds are you’ll get re-infected again, and again, and again." Very thorough guide by JTPratt.

• Two or three egges everie morning - "Taken from an Elizabethan medical book, 'set foorth for the great benefit and comfort of the poorer sort of people that are not of abilitie to go to the physitions', today's fragments are a selection of household remedies for managing the symptoms of syphilis." There's loads of other interesting stuff on the Shakespeare's England blog.

• Dice sculptures - "Artist Tony Cragg recently unveiled the dice sculptures you can see at the FIAC 2011 in Paris (The International Contemporary Art Fair). His organic sculptures feature an amazing eye for curves and details."

• The 11 Most Unnecessary 'How To' Guides on the Web - "Who says there's nothing useful on the Internet? From Yahoo Answers to the countless How-To sites, the web is full of non-experts telling you how to do everything from change a muffler to castrate a llama. Excellent collection of utterly useless advice, covering such important topics as "How to remove a staple from your hand" and "How to blink well".

• The Social Graph is Neither - "I first came across the phrase social graph in 2007... The idea of representing relationships between people as networks is old, but this was the first time I had thought about treating the connections between all living people as one big object that you could manipulate with a computer." Maciej Cegłowski (previously linked for Chinese aerospace spying and Argentine steak eating) is not impressed by Facebook or Google+.

• Access Main Computer File - Extensive collection of computer interfaces as depicted in TV and movies.

Happy invoicing!

Having had three wordpress sites hacked in the past, thanks for that link
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      Having had three wordpress sites hacked in the past, thanks for that link
      Yup, my site's been done twice so I was glad to find that one

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Yup, my site's been done twice so I was glad to find that one