• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Starkey at it again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starkey at it again

David Starkey in new row over 'mono-culture' comments - Telegraph

saying: "No it's not. Most of Britain is a mono-culture. You think London is Britain. It isn't.

"Where I've come from in Yorkshire, where I've come from in Westmorland, where I largely live in Kent, where I holiday much in the south west, it is absolutely and unmitigatingly white.
    Coffee's for closers

I live in London and he is right. The rest of the country has a culture of parochial bigotry.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      I live in London and he is right. The rest of the country has a culture of parochial bigotry.
      Even where there are other races they only exist in their own little enclaves clinging tightly to their own cultures. There is no real region of the UK where communities are properly integrated. There are a huge number of individuals who are integrated though.
      Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        Where I've come from in Yorkshire, where I've come from in Westmorland, where I largely live in Kent, where I holiday much in the south west, it is absolutely and unmitigatingly white.
        In the north at least, he is 100% right. So much so that a black person catches the eye.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
          The rest of the country has a culture of parochial bigotry.
          Do you have any evidence to support that? or is it just a case of "they're predominately white therefore they must be bigoted"

Comment

Originally posted by ArthurBigot View Post
            Do you have any evidence to support that? or is it just a case of "they're predominately white therefore they must be bigoted"
            My mother in law is all the evidence you need.

Joking aside, I think this "bigotry" exists in any community anywhere in the world. The more closed off the community is the more afraid/protective the people in it are. The same applies to any community whether it be a sports team, a business, an office as well as say a village, town or city even. It applies therefore to white, black or whatever colour a groups skin is. Skin colour is an easy and simple, albeit crude, way of identifying people who "are not from round these parts".
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

All he seems to be saying is that he lives / frequents areas which are unmitigatingly white. I can't believe that that's newsworthy, to be honest.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Hardly very controversial to say much of the UK is still white. And why should whites not cling to their own culture? Everyone else does.

The double standards we keep seeing are astonishing, for example, we spend tax payers' money on an Asian channel and then criticise a single program for showing white village life. We should make up our minds whether to encourage integration or multiculturalism and apply it to all without favour, not demand that white British make concessions and others none.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Starkey reminds me of some old boozer in a pub where regulars wish he drank elsewhere due to the endless moaning about crap nobody is really that interested in.

Comment

Working...
                  X