• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"Estimated Income tax" payments for 2011/12 - WTH !!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Estimated Income tax" payments for 2011/12 - WTH !!!

I just received my personal tax 2010/11 breakdown from my accountant and I noticed that on top of the usual tax I pay on dividend and income tax there were two additional amounts the first to be paid before Jan 31 and the 2nd before July 31, both amounts were the same around £2500.

When I quizzed these two amounts, I was informed that these both were 'estimated income tax bills for the next future period 2011/12, rather like 'estimated gas bills' - apparently its calculated by dividing your actual tax owed for 2010/11, divided by 2 and then paid in two instalments over the course of a year.

I don't know about you but I thought HMRC and tax payments were meant to be more precise than this, I know I'll get the tax back if I have overpaid in the future but Gordon Bennet this is no way to formally ask for money not owed - this should not be happening !!

I guess it's a ploy to get money upfront by HMRC just in case you decide to run off at the end of the year and not pay your personal income tax but what about people who just don't have that money that is not owed in the first place ???

its just so wierd.

It's there to avoid morons ******* up and not having enough money to pay their tax when it is due...

Shame we don't have something similar to check which area of the forums people are posting their pointless whinging posts.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
      I just received my personal tax 2010/11 breakdown from my accountant and I noticed that on top of the usual tax I pay on dividend and income tax there were two additional amounts the first to be paid before Jan 31 and the 2nd before July 31, both amounts were the same around £2500.

When I quizzed these two amounts, I was informed that these both were 'estimated income tax bills for the next future period 2011/12, rather like 'estimated gas bills' - apparently its calculated by dividing your actual tax owed for 2010/11, divided by 2 and then paid in two instalments over the course of a year.

I don't know about you but I thought HMRC and tax payments were meant to be more precise than this, I know I'll get the tax back if I have overpaid in the future but Gordon Bennet this is no way to formally ask for money not owed.

I guess it's a ploy to get money upfront by HMRC just in case you decide to run off at the end of the year and not pay but what about people who just don't have that money that is not owed in the first place ???

its just so wierd.
      Situation normal. It sounds like a PITA but it's actually quite handy for tax planning. IIRC you can apply to have them revised if you expect to earn much more or less than last year.

The Germans do much the same thing except they bill you quarterly.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        It's there to avoid morons ******* up and not having enough money to pay their tax when it is due...

Shame we don't have something similar to check which area of the forums people are posting their pointless whinging posts.
        NorthernLadyUk not giving out again hey NL?
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post

I don't know about you but I thought HMRC and tax payments were meant to be more precise than this, I know I'll get the tax back if I have overpaid in the future but Gordon Bennet this is no way to formally ask for money not owed - this should not be happening !!

I guess it's a ploy to get money upfront by HMRC just in case you decide to run off at the end of the year and not pay your personal income tax but what about people who just don't have that money that is not owed in the first place ???

its just so wierd.
          Erm.... the payments have been around since Self Assessment was introduced.

Whats more wierd is that you have only just found out about them
          Bazza gets caught
          Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

I assume this 'pay your estimated tax up front as we'd prefer it in our account than yours' is optional?

I pay my tax when it's due not up front. They can have it over my cold dead ltd company.
            Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
            Feist - I Feel It All
            Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

My accountant ****ed up this year.

I have to pay £10.18 in tax - WTF?!?!?!

Good news is that they haven't asked me to pay £5 twice next year to cover this amount.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                If you want a larf, pay them £5k in one lump.

They then will have to pay you back £2.5k coz it's not due yet.

Do they pay back overpaid tax with interest?
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  If you want a larf, pay them £5k in one lump.

They then will have to pay you back £2.5k coz it's not due yet.

That was worth doing when they paid interest on overpayments.

They stopped doing that a few years ago IIRC, though still charge interest on underpayments.

I cottoned onto that tactic when my dad once bought something from Currys on credit at their usual extortionate interest rate and overpayed when settling it. They were paying him the same interest rate back on his overpayment and kept ringing him up to try to sort it out.
                  Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                  Feist - I Feel It All
                  Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    NorthernLadyUk not giving out again hey NL?
                    It's the other way round, dearie. Since the contracts dried up, he finds himself humbled in the conjugal act. Now that I have to go out evenings to earn a crust or two, he won't even look at me, but just spends his evening offering tax advice on the Internet.

Comment

Working...
                    X