• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I want a Mac

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want a Mac

as the title says, I want one for 2 main reasons.

1) To develop apps on
    2) Because I want to see if they really are as superior as all apple fanboys say or if they are overpriced but well built machines.

I won't be using it for my main work and so the latest greatest isn't really needed.

So, my initial questions are:

Assuming a macbook is what I should be looking at:

- what spec level is a minimum requirement to run the latest OS?
    "Your Mac must have an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7 or Xeon processor to run Lion"

- what is the latest OS?
    £21 for a new download of OS X Lion!!! WTF!! why so cheap?
    Ahhh I see + another £26 for Snow Leopard if it's an older mac, still cheap though

- any tips on a good place to buy secondhand macbooks?
    ebay and amazon it seems, also maybe http://www.thelaptopcentre.co.uk/

- what sort of cost are they?
    £500 for a secondhand 13" core 2 duo 2GHz, 1gb RAM, 80 Gb HDD

I'm not totally lazy, I'm about to start googling the answers once this post is posted.

cheers
    Chef
    Last edited by chef; 16 November 2011, 10:46.
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Here you go then . . .

The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post

I'm not totally lazy, I'm about to start googling the answers once this post is posted.
      Post what you find here and we can tell you whether you're cold, getting warmer, warm, nope cold again.

Comment

The curtains in Scooter's German bedsit have just been drenched at the prospect of posting a reply to this.

Comment

I've seen a few macbook airs in computer exchange, I'm tempted to pick one up for ms doodab's christmas present (and mine, as it will stop her using my laptop). I forget how much they cost but I'm sure their website will tell you. If you buy from them it will come with a guarantee which is nice to have.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
            The curtains in Scooter's German bedsit have just been drenched at the prospect of posting a reply to this.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Damn and I thought I was in demand
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

bought a macbook air last year after canvassing opinion here and haven't regretted it. buy whatever suits you budget.

Comment

I bought a 13" macbook pro a couple of months ago and its been ideal for my current gig. I have been tempted to get an iMac and replace my current desktop.

Comment

I started out with a Mac, loved it.

But hated having to convert stuff to Windows and back again.

I know it's not such an issue now, but can't go back.

Maybe some day
                    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Working...
                    X