• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cars on the touchline

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cars on the touchline

Don't usually watch football but saw some of the England match last night which had a virtual red Vauxhall Astra "parked" at the touchline at each end. When did they start doing that? Never noticed it before.

Makes you wonder how long it will be before ever more sophisticated methods are completely inventing the "reality" we see on news programs.

bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Ps Is it a touchline or is that snooker? Anyway, the line thingy.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Augmented reality is gonna be the next thing. There will be cars driving around the edge of the pitch as it is being filmed, guys with sandwich boards and those guys they have the US with the spinning signs that stand on street corners augmented in to look like they are there soon....

You are going to see a lot stranger things down the touchline soon. Maybe a few hundred of these around the pitch...

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I find those illuminated advertising panels that run all around the pitch immensely irritating - not just Football but Twickenham has them too

Sooooo distracting from the action (which is probably the point)
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

they've been doing something similar for years by electronically overlaying the teams crests on each half of the pitch before kick off but whilst the players were on the pitch having their pre-match warmup kick about.
          It always looked realistic enough, i.e. as if it was painted onto the pitch
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Yeah it is clever that, same with American football and the 10 yard line but its gonna get better..

Your viewing pleasure is going to look something like this soon IMO...

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              Don't usually watch football but saw some of the England match last night which had a virtual red Vauxhall Astra "parked" at the touchline at each end. When did they start doing that? Never noticed it before.

Makes you wonder how long it will be before ever more sophisticated methods are completely inventing the "reality" we see on news programs.

From that picture it looks like the car could be painted on so it looks 3D.. usual way to tell is when a non centreline camera is used, does the illusion collapse or is it still there.
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                From that picture it looks like the car could be painted on so it looks 3D.. usual way to tell is when a non centreline camera is used, does the illusion collapse or is it still there.
                It is painted on. From other angles you could see the image all stretched out, like the elongated STOP sign painted at a road junction. The paint was still drying actually, which at least gave us something more interesting to watch than the football.

The RBS logo is painted on the pitch at 6 Nations rugby matches too.

You often see players covered in blue paint after a bit of a ruck around the centre of the pitch.

Last edited by dang65; 16 November 2011, 11:41.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
                  That physio looks like a typical ruby playing scouser!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    That physio looks like a typical ruby playing scouser!!!
                    What on earth could you mean by that?
                    Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Working...
                    X