• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

£100K secretary

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

£100K secretary

I'm not quite sure whether my eyes were deceiving me, but there was a story in today's London Metro saying that a secretary was sueing Merril Lynch bank for wrongful dismissal for harrassment etc at work. It said that her salary was £100K. For a secretary. Now while I regard a competant secretary something that should be prized in any organisation, 100K? WTF! I'm in the wrong job. Again!

(I hope I'm not being too boring with this thread. If so then moderator please do delete it.)

What's best is she is actually sueing for 1mil!

Comment

What makes me LOL is when people think that Directors run companies. I've only ever seen this quite rarely and the fact is that most often it is the Directors' secrataries that run the company, and for this reason I think many are woefully underpaid.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

She's probably one of these PA types. A good one of those is worth her weight in gold to a company that could afford it.

Comment

one of my best mates is a PA and I can't believe the amount of work she does, from what she tells me it really does seem like she's the one running the company!
          "Well behaved women rarely make history"

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
            She's probably one of these PA types. A good one of those is worth her weight in gold to a company that could afford it.

Paying people on the basis of their looks is bad enough but paying people in rare metals based upon their weight is even worse. Who would be the richest contractor if rates were to be based upon body mass ??

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist
              Who would be the richest contractor if rates were to be based upon body mass ??
              Oh dear, we all know the answer. Hovewer, I would be still happy to get 80kg of gold nonetheless.
              I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

More than likely she was a PA, not a secretary. There is a big difference.

A true PA (who usually works for one very senior manager as is probably the case here) organises everything private and business for him or her - draws up the schedule and tasks to be completed and briefs those who will do the work - and usually accompanies him/her everywhere they are needed both home and abroad and they would delegate the donkeywork down to appropriate office based secretaries to would do the phoning around to book meetings and so on. True PAs don't work for anyone in the company food chain - they only work one to one for a top bods who rely on discretion, good organisational ability and personal service (probably in more ways than one).

Most jobs advertised as PA positions are really glorified job titles to attract senior secretaries and there is no way they would be earning even half what is quoted here and would probably be office based and carrying out the donkeywork themselves. Even a personal secretary working for a top banker wouldn't make £50K a year.

Comment

I'll ask my PA and see what she says.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
                    I'll ask my PA and see what she says.
                    Your cat?

Comment

Working...
                    X