• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear: Spot the difference (it's 3mm)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Dear: Spot the difference (it's 3mm)

28 trains withdrawn as disability groups complain that letters on signs are too small

RAIL passengers are used to bizarre excuses for delays or overcrowding, but even the longest-suffering commuter will be stunned by the latest reason to be given by South West Trains.
    It is having to withdraw a modern fleet from one of its busiest routes because the letters on information screens are 3mm too small to comply with disability regulations.

The digital displays in each carriage, which show the stations that the train will stop at, are supposed to have letters at least 35mm high. The 28 trains in the Juniper fleet, introduced only seven years ago by SWT, have 32mm-high lettering.

The Government’s disability advisers have persuaded ministers that the trains must be mothballed, even though thousands of passengers on the Reading to Waterloo route may have to cram on to shorter trains as a result.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...155360,00.html

Milan.

I really hope that we are only hearing a snippet of the story, and in-fact the screens will quickly be upgraded.

Comment

Quite right that they should be withdrawn. They knew what the regulations were and choose to flout them.

The trains should not just be mothballed, but scrapped completely and sent to China as the Chinese are absolutely desperate for scrap metal. The scrap metal shortage is so bad it's causing the price to skyrocket and thieves are stealing manhole covers to make a few bob. People are falling into these open manholes and becoming disabled, and hence requiring the need for trains with proper signage.

threaded in "holistic" mode
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

sorry threaded these trains were made before the regulations...

'SWT said that it would cost £750,000 to install new screens. It was unwilling to pay this to extend the trains’ service by six months before returning them to Porterbrook, the leasing company that owns them.

The Junipers were ordered in 1997, a year before the existing rules on letter size were agreed. ',

Milan.

Comment

Oh that is plain quibbling, the letter size for signage has been set ages and ages before, this 'agreement' was because this new type of sign, LEDs, wasn't listed in the methods of signage, nothing to do with its size. If they'd used plasma bulbs they would have failed the regs. for example.

Comment

ahhh that explains it

sun shining and a clear blue sky here in FFM, how is the weather today in Denmark ?

Milan.

Comment

Absolutely fantastic this morning. The Sun is just so bright. Managed my commute on my cycle to this client in under 1 hour, which is a new record for me.

What a wonderful day this promises to be, watch some twat spoil it...

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
                Absolutely fantastic this morning. The Sun is just so bright. Managed my commute on my cycle to this client in under 1 hour, which is a new record for me.

What a wonderful day this promises to be, watch some twat spoil it...

i hate to be a quibbler , but the sun is always bright even on a cloudy day. In fact it stays bright even at night time. The next time you see a full moon at night ring someone in Australia (eg Rolf Harris) and ask them if the sun is bright. I can guarantee what the answer will be. HTH

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

As the parent of a blind child, I agree with what is happening here. OK this is an extreme state of affairs, but where would you draw the line? So the letters are only 3mm too short, so that is ok - what is 3 mm? But what if they were 5mm, or 10mm too short. When does the short become too short.

People with poor sight do not have the option of using their own forms of transport for the obvious reasons. Because they cannot simply jump into their car, having a sign to inform those who have some useable sight is not too much to ask. The standards were produced to provide uniformaty, allowing somebody to travel, knowing that if they can read the signs on one leg of their journey then they can expect to be able to read the signs on other parts of it.
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist
                    i hate to be a quibbler , but the sun is always bright even on a cloudy day. In fact it stays bright even at night time. The next time you see a full moon at night ring someone in Australia (eg Rolf Harris) and ask them if the sun is bright. I can guarantee what the answer will be. HTH

I hate to be a quibbler , but Rolf Harris is actually currently living in the UK, so to ring him about the weather in Australia would be pointless.

HTH

Comment

Working...
                    X