• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My mobile phone is leaking money

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My mobile phone is leaking money

Bought an HTC Desire a few months ago, and am now on T-Mobile's PAYG "Mate's Rates International" tariff.

But after topping up with £20 credit, I found a month or so later (not having used it for more than a couple of local calls between times) that my credit was running low.

So I tried an experiment - Topped up again to £20.60 and left it for a week before checking my available credit. Low and behold, this has dropped to £19.60

Anyone know what is going on here? I haven't knowingly accessed the Internet at all yet, although I notice it did want to update something a while ago. Could it be that which is chewing up my credit behind the scenes?
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

I'd guess that there is some kind of periodic check for updates etc. which will use part of the data allowance.

Go to Settings > Wireless and network > Mobile Networks and untick the "Use packet data" option (it might say "phone data network" or something similar depending on which version of Android you are using).

When you are on WiFi, then you will be fine, but it shouldn't use any 3G connection for data any more.

Also, install 3G Watchdog (free from Market), which will monitor how much you are downloading using the phone networks rather than WiFi. If you get anything free, you can set a limit to flag you when you are getting close to the limit.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Are you getting any 3rd party texts (such as sport results)? If so they can cost to receive them
      Growing old is mandatory
      Growing up is optional

Comment

Oh good a HTC thread!

Spent ages trying to get detail from a message sent to me copied as an entry into the calendar
        Gave up in the end and entered it manually
        Does the esteemed panel know of a way to do this
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
          Oh good a HTC thread!

Spent ages trying to get detail from a message sent to me copied as an entry into the calendar
          Gave up in the end and entered it manually
          Does the esteemed panel know of a way to do this
          Don't think it's possible from a text.

If it's sent as a vcalendar via email or bluetooth, then you should be able to open that in calendar automatically.

If it's in a text message, you could copy the text and then paste it in calendar?
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            I'd guess that there is some kind of periodic check for updates etc. which will use part of the data allowance.

Go to Settings > Wireless and network > Mobile Networks and untick the "Use packet data" option (it might say "phone data network" or something similar depending on which version of Android you are using).

When you are on WiFi, then you will be fine, but it shouldn't use any 3G connection for data any more.

Also, install 3G Watchdog (free from Market), which will monitor how much you are downloading using the phone networks rather than WiFi. If you get anything free, you can set a limit to flag you when you are getting close to the limit.
            WFS, also if you're not fussed about updates, change it so you manually refresh.

Be mindful that often you will get updates for apps, so switch that off too.
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Stick a 3g toggle switch on your home screen, do the same for WiFi.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                Don't think it's possible from a text.

If it's sent as a vcalendar via email or bluetooth, then you should be able to open that in calendar automatically.

If it's in a text message, you could copy the text and then paste it in calendar?
                not possible from a text.
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                X