PDA

View Full Version : Wierdos in the train

Mich the Tester
17th November 2011, 13:01
I take the train everyday, for practical reasons; it's basically pointless trying to drive across the country and into Amsterdam in the mornings; you can take 3 or 4 hours over 100 kms.

Usually travelling by train is OK, if you can tolerate the inexplicable delays, but just occasionally it can be an unpleasant experience, not due to the train company, but due to the loons and wierdos you come across. Of course, in my car I am the only loon and seeing as I'm not a self-hurting kind of loon, that's nothing to be scared about.

But this morning in the train, I came across a very wierd individual. I sat down in a quiet part of the first class carriage for a 10 minute journey from my weekday lodgings to the office. One tall man, about 30 to 35, wearing a long messy coat and a fedora hat was pacing up and down the carriage for some minutes as the train was running, and then sat down opposite me. He said 'good morning' in an unusually assertive manner, to which I replied 'good morning'. He then glared at me; his eyes were those of a psycho and there was a large scar running from his mouth to one eye, looking rather like a knife wound; he had a completely fixed gaze and his face was stiffened up. Then he rummaged around in his coat, still glaring at me, then put his hand on my knee and said 'feel this', pushing his shin against my shin; I really didn't know what to make of this, except that it seemed his shin was perhaps actually a false leg. He continued his psychotic glaring as I sat there working out my options as to what to do and watching him out of the corner of my eye; happily the train arrived at my station a couple of minutes later and I got up to leave; he stuck his hand out as if to shake my hand. I somewhat hesitantly shook his hand and left, him still glaring at me.

One thing struck me; other passengers hid themselves behind their newspapers, but perhaps that isn't a surprise. But I found the whole experience quite scary, perhaps simply because of the wierdness of it all; I'm not a small person and quite capable of defending myself, so not easily scared; in fact, an aggressive individual directly threatening me hardly worries me at all, but this was WIERD.

I found myself wondering; is this some druggy type of behaviour (this is Amsterdam after all)? Is this perhaps some 'care in the community gone wrong' case? Very strange, and as I said, quite creepy.

Any other tales of wierdos in the train?

russell
17th November 2011, 13:03
I take the train everyday, for practical reasons; it's basically pointless trying to drive across the country and into Amsterdam in the mornings; you can take 3 or 4 hours over 100 kms.

Usually travelling by train is OK, if you can tolerate the inexplicable delays, but just occasionally it can be an unpleasant experience, not due to the train company, but due to the loons and wierdos you come across. Of course, in my car I am the only loon and seeing as I'm not a self-hurting kind of loon, that's nothing to be scared about.

But this morning in the train, I came across a very wierd individual. I sat down in a quiet part of the first class carriage for a 10 minute journey from my weekday lodgings to the office. One tall man, about 30 to 35, wearing a long messy coat and a fedora hat was pacing up and down the carriage for some minutes as the train was running, and then sat down opposite me. He said 'good morning' in an unusually assertive manner, to which I replied 'good morning'. He then glared at me; his eyes were those of a psycho and there was a large scar running from his mouth to one eye, looking rather like a knife wound; he had a completely fixed gaze and his face was stiffened up. Then he rummaged around in his coat, still glaring at me, then put his hand on my knee and said 'feel this', pushing his shin against my shin; I really didn't know what to make of this, except that it seemed his shin was perhaps actually a false leg. He continued his psychotic glaring as I sat there working out my options as to what to do and watching him out of the corner of my eye; happily the train arrived at my station a couple of minutes later and I got up to leave; he stuck his hand out as if to shake my hand. I somewhat hesitantly shook his hand and left, him still glaring at me.

One thing struck me; other passengers hid themselves behind their newspapers, but perhaps that isn't a surprise. But I found the whole experience quite scary, perhaps simply because of the wierdness of it all; I'm not a small person and quite capable of defending myself, so not easily scared; in fact, an aggressive individual directly threatening me hardly worries me at all, but this was WIERD.

I found myself wondering; is this some druggy type of behaviour (this is Amsterdam after all)? Is this perhaps some 'care in the community gone wrong' case? Very strange, and as I said, quite creepy.

Any other tales of wierdos in the train?

That was SASGuru on his way to Germany.

BrilloPad
17th November 2011, 13:18
One thing struck me; other passengers hid themselves behind their newspapers, but perhaps that isn't a surprise.

They were grateful he picked on you!

ChimpMaster
17th November 2011, 13:19
I think he fancied you, after all, he asked you to feel something down his trouser leg. And it is Amsterdam, after all.

TimberWolf
17th November 2011, 13:19
Sounds like you were in economy class.

russell
17th November 2011, 13:20
Dammit guys these hitman we keep hiring are useless.

Spacecadet
That was SASGuru on his way to Germany.

:laugh:

Mich the Tester
They were grateful he picked on you!

In a way I am too as they all looked like weedy little people and I can at least defend myself. Just wonder what happened after I'd left the train.

But serious question; is this behaviour typical of some drug?

Mich the Tester
17th November 2011, 13:21
Sounds like you were in economy class.

Nope, first class, but in Dutch trains you wouldn't notice much difference and the conductors don't do much ticket checking in the rush hour.

russell
17th November 2011, 13:21

Yes, Love, you were in there!

Mich the Tester
17th November 2011, 13:24
Yes, Love, you were in there!

I suppose it's a possible explanation, but I'm not of that preference.

WTF has happened? Fit birds used to sit opposite me in the train and give me suggestive looks; now it's 6'5'' scarfaced nutjobs with wooden legs.

Where's Zeity? He knows about nutters in the train.

russell
17th November 2011, 13:25
I suppose it's a possible explanation, but I'm not of that preference.

WTF has happened? Fit birds used to sit opposite me in the train and give me suggestive looks; now it's 6'5'' scarfaced nutjobs with wooden legs.

Just be glad your not getting urinated on by 20 chavs. Which I am sure happens regularly in London.

Signo_cypher
17th November 2011, 13:34
He was just a weirdo, the worlds full of them, when using public transport your odds of bumping into a few increase greatly.

It is the fact that you where caught by surprise, you don’t plan/expect this scenario to happen, if you did you would have a few choice words/tools of your own to show him :fight:

Mich the Tester
17th November 2011, 13:42
He was just a weirdo, the worlds full of them, when using public transport your odds of bumping into a few increase greatly.

It is the fact that you where caught by surprise, you don’t plan/expect this scenario to happen, if you did you would have a few choice words/tools of your own to show him :fight:

Yep, and certainly plenty of wierdos in Amsterdam. But I wonder whether someone like that realises that people are likely to find him rather creepy; maybe he's just a sad and lonely individual trying to strike up conversation, but so socially inept that he doesn't know how. But then the scar and the glare suggest something different.

TimberWolf
17th November 2011, 14:02
In some monkey societies a stare is a hostile gesture or threat/challenge, in others it's not (chimps?, bonobos?). I thought in humans it was a threat gesture until I learnt that in interviews you are meant to hold eye contact.

Anyway, here is a solution:
http://static02.mediaite.com/geekosystem/uploads/2010/04/glasses-rotterdam-zoo-550x359.jpg
(note the gaze is averted)
Print Your Own Gaze-Averting Glasses: To Aid Sketch Artists, Prevent Gorilla Attacks | Geekosystem (http://www.geekosystem.com/gorilla-gaze-glasses/)

apparently it works great on apes at the zoo, so I don't see why it shouldn't work on trains.

Mich the Tester
17th November 2011, 14:09
apparently it works great on apes at the zoo, so I don't see why it shouldn't work on trains.

It won't work on trains because zoo apes are higher primates; train wierdos aren't.

Doggy Styles
17th November 2011, 14:18
A few months hence you will see yourself on the Dutch version of Candid Camera.

Due to the higher tutonic quotient it's not as funny as the old British version. Which wasn't all that funny anyway.

Not to us, anyway.

GreenLabel
17th November 2011, 14:24
Yep, and certainly plenty of wierdos in Amsterdam. But I wonder whether someone like that realises that people are likely to find him rather creepy; maybe he's just a sad and lonely individual trying to strike up conversation, but so socially inept that he doesn't know how. But then the scar and the glare suggest something different.

If push had come to shove, could you have taken him?

Mich the Tester
17th November 2011, 14:26
If push had come to shove, could you have taken him?

Umm, probably (if you mean defend myself), but I can't know what he was concealing in his jacket.

Sysman
17th November 2011, 14:32

It's hard to say without having seen the fella myself, but it could be a side effect of prescribed drugs he's taking for some condition or other.

A once good mate of mine ended up on some kind of prescribed drugs (antidepressants?) when he was going through a nasty divorce and he turned a bit strange and verbally aggressive. He simply wasn't like the mate I had known for several years. I still don't trust him.

I do occasionally come across weirdos on the train. On the latest occasion the dodgy looking guy I had clocked as I was getting on the train was being a bit hyperactive during the journey; he couldn't stand still, used the bog, paced back and forth etc.

Sure enough when he got off at my stop I saw him discreetly exchange something with a bloke waiting on the platform, and they then proceeded to ignore each other as they exited the station. I was pretty sure that was a drugs thing.

Mich the Tester
17th November 2011, 14:48
I think he was on my train last week.

He got off at Neath & I studiously avoided him.

Only added 3 miles to my walk home.

Last week I walked to the bog in the intercity on the way back to Tester Manor, opened the bog door and saw someone sitting on the throne slumped over and a stench of booze and piss wafted toward me; someone outside the bog then said ' I think he's a bit out of his head' and I wondered why 'he' would be wearing stockings and a Laura Ashley style flowery dress; slumped over person looked up and indeed it was a bloke; beard, dreadlocks and that glazed over look of the advanced druggy.

Railway staff stuggled to eject him at the next station, police were called, fight on the platform and so on.

Something makes me want to say to people like that 'look at yourself, get your bloody life sorted out', but I sense it would be pointless. It's all a bit sad really.

d000hg
17th November 2011, 14:54
Just be glad your not getting urinated on by 20 chavs. Ah, now we're getting to the root of russell. Come on, this is a safe place to share.

darmstadt
17th November 2011, 15:19
Every single time I get a train I get the weirdo sitting next to me until I realised I was looking at my reflection in the window

:wink

cailin maith
17th November 2011, 15:23
Every single time I get a train I get the weirdo sitting next to me until I realised I was looking at my reflection in the window

:wink

:laugh That happens to me too - I usually think "ohhh that girl has a coat like mine" or "she looks familiar" and then I realise it is me :eyes

russell
17th November 2011, 15:23
:laugh That happens to me too - I usually think "ohhh that girl has a coat like mine" or "she looks familiar" and then I realise it is me :eyes

Are you blonde?

GreenLabel
17th November 2011, 15:32
Ah, now we're getting to the root of russell. Come on, this is a safe place to share.

If you're looking for the root of Russell, he's shared his chav-urine fantasy before (http://forums.contractoruk.com/general/60843-have-you-ever-been-proper-fight.html#post1223353).

Durbs
17th November 2011, 15:41

Sounds more like the behaviour of a drunk really.

I hate public transport, tried a while ago to go without my car and use bus/train and on my 2nd day of bussing it had some nutjob get on, sat next to me at the front and then when we set off he got up and started punching and headbutting the drivers security screen screaming that he was going to fcking kill him. Looking at the dudes eyes, his head was totally gone, proper nutter.

d000hg
17th November 2011, 15:48
If you're looking for the root of Russell, he's shared his chav-urine fantasy before (http://forums.contractoruk.com/general/60843-have-you-ever-been-proper-fight.html#post1223353).Wow, looks like my jibe was closer to the truth than I realised!

russell
17th November 2011, 15:50
Wow, looks like my jibe was closer to the truth than I realised!

Hahaha, nah I think there was a poster here who's shoes got pissed on? and of course Suity on himself!

fullyautomatix
17th November 2011, 17:11
I feel for you. The only thing that makes my commute remotely interesting is the lovely ladies that get on the trains.

I picked up the courage once to chat up a glamour puss but she looked at me as if a dog had tried to piss on her boots and scuttled off. :frown

russell
17th November 2011, 17:12
I feel for you. The only thing that makes my commute remotely interesting is the lovely ladies that get on the trains.

I picked up the courage once to chat up a glamour puss but she looked at me as if a dog had tried to piss on her boots and scuttled off. :frown

:rollin:

d000hg
17th November 2011, 18:13
Hahaha, nah I think there was a poster here who's shoes got pissed on? and of course Suity on himself!Wow, you even issue a nervous laugh when typing about it.

Are you scarred because it happened to you, or is it something you're scared of, or something you long for?

russell
17th November 2011, 20:40
Wow, you even issue a nervous laugh when typing about it.

Are you scarred because it happened to you, or is it something you're scared of, or something you long for?

Neither I stole it from an episode of Louie starring Louie CK episode 6 series 2. He is a comedian based in NY and does standup, he talked about people getting on the subway for the first time.

d000hg
17th November 2011, 22:09
Neither I stole it from an episode of Louie starring Louie CK episode 6 series 2. He is a comedian based in NY and does standup, he talked about people getting on the subway for the first time.If you say so.

aussielong
18th November 2011, 06:29
In a way I am too as they all looked like weedy little people and I can at least defend myself. Just wonder what happened after I'd left the train.

As the Ice epidemic took hold of Sydney, I saw some extremely aggressive beggars on the streets. Eyes on stalks popping out of their heads. Stomping round cap in hand looking like they were about to smash anyone in their way. Have they got an Ice problem in Amsterdam?

Mich the Tester
18th November 2011, 09:10
Have they got an Ice problem in Amsterdam?

Dunno, but I can't think that there's a drug in the world they don't have a problem with in Amsterdam.

Troll
18th November 2011, 09:17
Amsterdam station - the only place I have been where a guy walks into the platform waiting room, gets out the paraphernalia and proceeds to openly chase the dragon !