• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bloody client keeps dropping me in the deep end.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bloody client keeps dropping me in the deep end.

Got invited to a 4 hour meeting a couple of days ago to discuss a BI reporting solution for a client of clientco.

For the two days I have been unable to get hold of the director on my side who had given my name so I was unable to prepare or even know the context.

I turn up at the client site as agreed and lo and fricking behold I am the only representitive of 'clientco'. In addition there was also another guy from a competitor.

The client then spent an hour outlining his requirements then turned to me, told me that the BI Director had already given him the background on the solution(what fricking background) and could I now start to run through the steps/processes/project plan. Kimball to the rescue!

I'm used to being dropped in it but this is getting ridiculous. A few months ago I dialled into a conference call I had been invited to an hour earlier, had the webex turned over to me and asked me to start(!!!!!!!!). I didn't even know what the bloody call was about let alone that I was presenting it.

What's the worse situation that someone has found themselve dropped into unprepared?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    What's the worse situation that someone has found themselve dropped into unprepared?
    Marriage.

Comment

I'm not dropped in it as such, but quite often something ends up on my desk because no-one else has a clue what to do. I just a) think of the money b) wing it. Applying the principle of "it can't be that hard", it usually works out in the end.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Clientco going bust while oweing me 40 grand.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Got invited to a 4 hour meeting a couple of days ago to discuss a BI reporting solution for a client of clientco.

For the two days I have been unable to get hold of the director on my side who had given my name so I was unable to prepare or even know the context.

I turn up at the client site as agreed and lo and fricking behold I am the only representitive of 'clientco'. In addition there was also another guy from a competitor.

The client then spent an hour outlining his requirements then turned to me, told me that the BI Director had already given him the background on the solution(what fricking background) and could I now start to run through the steps/processes/project plan. Kimball to the rescue!

I'm used to being dropped in it but this is getting ridiculous. A few months ago I dialled into a conference call I had been invited to an hour earlier, had the webex turned over to me and asked me to start(!!!!!!!!). I didn't even know what the bloody call was about let alone that I was presenting it.

Mods! Suity is using MF's login again!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            I'm not dropped in it as such, but quite often something ends up on my desk because no-one else has a clue what to do. I just a) think of the money b) wing it. Applying the principle of "it can't be that hard", it usually works out in the end.
            When I get dropped in it I just think 'What would NAT do?'

a) Wing it

I didn't realise that you thought of the money as well.

Comment

Arrived on client site to intergrate application (me C++ on unix) (client C++ on Borland NT) (application java frontend, unix backend)

Me - I can't just install this application some of it will need to be re-written, also it uses uses a lot of unix tools like "Sendmail" etc."

PM - just re-write them too.

Me - But I only have 6 weeks for this project.

PM - You better get started.
              Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

I got hired as a .Net C# developer at a IB, then got placed on a project that had zero C# and was basically a Data Warehouse project, which I had no experience of.

Comment

Go to his office

Tell him he's a ****

Find a new client.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    Go to his office

Tell him he's a ****

Find a new client.
                    He doesnt have a fricking office. He spends all his time jetting between offices/countries. Frick knows where he is. Haven't spoken to him for a month. I just get emails.

Comment

Working...
                    X