• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Man complains about Union Jack being flown all year

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man complains about Union Jack being flown all year

A man who complained about the permanent flying of a union jack in his Nottinghamshire village said he had received racist death threats.
    BBC News - Union jack row man Roger Henry gets 'death threat'

What are everyone elses thoughts on this? Does the fact that someone complaining about flying the national flag pisses me right off make me a racist?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Does the fact that someone complaining about flying the national flag pisses me right off make me a racist?
    No.

HTH

Nothing wrong with flying it all year round. I assume Nottinghamshire remained a part of the UK throughout that period....(despite many attempts to offload it!), so why not I say?

As long as it was not being flown upside down of course.
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Does the fact that someone complaining about flying the national flag pisses me right off make me a racist?
      No, but the fact you think a national flag represents only one race might do.

Comment

Should probably have been an English flag though!

Do they more commonly fly national flags in Wales/Scotland, like in the US, or is it as unusual as in England?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
          No, but the fact you think a national flag represents only one race might do.
          I find it very difficult to understand how you can read one sentence and come out with a conclusion that is so utterly wrong.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

He complained. They voted. What's the deal. It's not racist to fly the Union Jack. He has a point though, there isn't any black.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I find it very difficult to understand how you can read one sentence and come out with a conclusion that is so utterly wrong.
              It's more than you normally read.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Should probably have been an English flag though!

Do they more commonly fly national flags in Wales/Scotland, like in the US, or is it as unusual as in England?
                You'll see the Welsh flag flying proud in all parts of Wales and I imagine the Scots would give you short shrift if you complained about their flying of the St.Andrew cross.

The Union Flag, and to a lesser extent, the St.George cross might be considered the symbols of racist groups, but surely by flying the flag in the manner this muppet complained about is surely the best way to reclaim it as a national symbol.

Comment

Of course not, silly. It makes you a fascist.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                    No.

HTH

Nothing wrong with flying it all year round. I assume Nottinghamshire remained a part of the UK throughout that period....(despite many attempts to offload it!), so why not I say?

As long as it was not being flown upside down of course
                    That pi55e5 me off, even the local MOD site get it wrong!
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X