• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Forced inter-wking

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forced inter-wking

I am just so pleased at this time of year to be outside all the office politics BS.

All the ar5e-kissing, thats going on in the perm world, just so that they get there "exceeds expectations", graded 1 and 2 or whatever scale your clientco uses.

So unfair the way it works, had it at my last perm employer after handing my notice in, I was given a 4 (below average), I complained to my boss and he said that it was because i was leaving and they needed to balance the bell curve. Nothing to do with Merit.

These days I just smile and know that my bonus is paid monthly.
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

I used to conduct appraisals. Given exactly the same set of targets and results, I could grade you anywhere on the scale. Mostly where you ended up depended on what some senior manager three grades higher though.

Appraisals and target setting were invented by HR to give themselves something to do. At best neutral, they are usually a disincentive.

Nowadays, as a contractor, I am of course motivated only by money.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

My last perm role appraisal was great. The targets kept getting moved, so at the annual review the targets noted had no relation to the work I done. As the manager had changed my work I insisted on 100%. He said no, but came back later having talked to HR and said 85%. I said 100%. He said no one ever gets 100, but my reply was if you hadn't changed my targets I'd have done it. A few visits to HR from me, and I got 100. Handed in my notice 2 days later, and went contracting.

Comment

The pissing on the cake is that after the appraisal the permies still don't get a payrise as 'all payrises are frozen this year (as for the last 5 years) due to the poor economic climate'.

Though 'directors bonuses are up this year, well done everyone and keep up the hard work'.

Just glad I have up till now escaped permiedom since my first ever job. Much prefer being a director of my own company.

Just need a successful plan B.
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Ah but bonuses are one off. A payrise you keep paying until they retire.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Or they get made 'redundant'.

Or have to re-apply for their own job on new terms and maybe a lower salary.

Some permies are on the same notice period (one month) as the contractors.
            Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
            Feist - I Feel It All
            Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

the last appraisal i had was a 360 dgree appraisal where you were invited to comment on your colleagues and vise versa much fairer as it was then 3 peoples opinions you were a w**ker not just the Managers

Comment

Yes they have a lovely trick here - generally a pot of money is set aside for payrises.

The less payrises 'management' need to give out to 'staff' the more money there is in the pot for 'management' payrises.....

Management set the targets people need to achieve to get payrises...

Can anyone spot the fatal flaw in this process??

Comment

mine are done over the phone which is great. You have no visual clues, it isn't even seen as a 'special time' because normally half way through someone interrupts your boss.

Afterwards you feel like collecting the money (if there is any) off the bedside table and go back to the streets.

Stupid things like saving money, providing good solutions that turn around the business come second to talking the talk (something corporate IT seem to do incessantly).

Other way round of course you need to be supportive and positive. Missing every meeting by 3 - 5 minutes, not being prepared, having incorrect information, not doing what you agree to do and talking to people like idiots are ok if you are a manager.

Of course as I'm top of the much lower pay scale I was forced on during the last reorg I don't get a raise. Bonus is tied to Europe's performance which includes most of the profits being moved to tax havens so we never make a profit.

not a happy bunny!
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                    The pissing on the cake is that after the appraisal the permies still don't get a payrise as 'all payrises are frozen this year (as for the last 5 years) due to the poor economic climate'.

Though 'directors bonuses are up this year, well done everyone and keep up the hard work'.

Just glad I have up till now escaped permiedom since my first ever job. Much prefer being a director of my own company.

Just need a successful plan B.

Spot on PAH - no moatter how much you have sweated theres no pay rise in prospect cos all payrise are forzone - HA HA HA HA !!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X