• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Occupy Haarlem

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Occupy Haarlem

Appeared during the night and I passed them this morning on the way from lodgings to the station. Now picture the scene; Haarlem is a very wealthy medium sized town just outside Amsterdam. It's filled with small businesses, nice restaurants, boutiquey type shops, museums, fine art and beautiful architecture including some very rare (for NL) jugendstil buildings. Average income is well above national average, so not exactly a hotbed of revolutionary ideas, even though it does have a moderately left-liberal council (probably to keep the art subsidies going).

They were friendly enough, certainly more friendly than the yesterday's wierdo in the train, but I'd never seen crusties in Haarlem before. Sure, aging punks, grungy types and so on, but people who haven't had a shower in years? In Haarlem?

So I asked; why Haarlem? 'Yeah, we were ejected from outside the stock exchange in Amsterdam so we came here because it's still kind of, erm, liberal and easy going'. So, effectively, they're trying to start a revolution against people they like! WTF?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Yup, noticed them on my way back from the 'Jopenkerk' on Wednesday night. A very bedraggled & unwashed lot they are. As you say, no idea why they would choose Haarlem, it's hardly a hotbed of Dutch capitalism. (In fact, is there such a place anywhere in NL?)
    I think therefore I drink...

Comment

Originally posted by Boris View Post
      Yup, noticed them on my way back from the 'Jopenkerk' on Wednesday night. A very bedraggled & unwashed lot they are. As you say, no idea why they would choose Haarlem, it's hardly a hotbed of Dutch capitalism. (In fact, is there such a place anywhere in NL?)
      I would have gone for the Hague.

Haven't seen much in the way of protests round there.
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I suppose the hotbed of Dutch capitalism would be found in Amsterdam Zuidas where all the bankers and cocaine dealers hang out.

Otherwise, the religious right have their bases in the provinces and the anti-muslim anti-everything perty in Limburg (which is a bit backward anyway).

But Haarlem; that's a hotbed of easy living.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          But Haarlem; that's a hotbed of easy living.
          With some great pubs too!

Comment

With some great pubs too!
            and nice restaurants
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
              and nice restaurants
              Several! (much to the chagrin of MyCo's Chief Financial Officer)

Comment

So we can conclude from this that despite their bedraggled demeanour they are basically civilised people. That's nice.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  So we can conclude from this that despite their bedraggled demeanour they are basically civilised people. That's nice.
                  Not sure about that, they look like the typical unemployed leftie rent-a-mob to me. The same lot that were trashing Amsterdam a few months ago when they were being evicted from their squats.

Comment

Working...
                  X