• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Faster than the speed of light - so what?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Faster than the speed of light - so what?

Ok,

I know I'm opening myself up to a whole load of ridicule but can someone explain to me what it actually means, as in the known scientific theories that no longer hold true and the associated knock on effects if it is proven (as it seems to be) that things can actually go faster than the speed of light.

What I'm looking for is it put in laymans terms so to say.

I'll give a starting example, so going faster than the speed of light proves Einstein's theory of relativity wrong, ok, so what? scientific theories are proven wrong all the time, what is such the big deal with this particular theory being proven wrong..

can we then in theory do something now we know the theory to be incorrect?
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Muhammad Ali was even quicker than previously thought.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
      Ok,

I know I'm opening myself up to a whole load of ridicule but can someone explain to me what it actually means, as in the known scientific theories that no longer hold true and the associated knock on effects if it is proven (as it seems to be) that things can actually go faster than the speed of light.

What I'm looking for is it put in laymans terms so to say.

I'll give a starting example, so going faster than the speed of light proves Einstein's theory of relativity wrong, ok, so what? scientific theories are proven wrong all the time, what is such the big deal with this particular theory being proven wrong..

can we then in theory do something now we know the theory to be incorrect?
      In order for cause and effect to work, Einstein had to be right.
      So now, because of these smart @rsed so called scientists, your girlfriends bra can come off, BEFORE you undo the clasp

it's called effect and cause

or something

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        In order for cause and effect to work, Einstein had to be right.
        So now, because of these smart @rsed so called scientists, your girlfriends bra can come off, BEFORE you undo the clasp

it's called effect and cause

or something

only for cup sizes larger than c
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

"We don't serve faster-than-light particles in here!", said the barman.

A neutrino walks into a bar,
          It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
            "We don't serve faster-than-light particles in here!", said the barman.

A neutrino walks into a bar,
            v good in an über geek way.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Einstein's theories of relativity have been shown to be accurate to an incredible degree. Without them, GPS simply wouldn't work - both General and Special relativity have to be taken into account.

Going faster than light doesn't mean that Einstein was wrong. If it was shown to be true, then it would mean there would need to be a refinement to the theory, showing that under very special circumstances, the speed of light can be exceeded.

A corollary of going faster than the speed of light being possible is that it makes signalling back in time also possible.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

thank you for a good easy to understand answer

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                A corollary of going faster than the speed of light being possible is that it makes signalling back in time also possible.

how?

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  WChefS

How is going faster than light going backwards in time?
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                    WChefS

How is going faster than light going backwards in time?
                    My guess is something to do with going to the speed of light slows down time relative to those not travelling at the speed of light and therefore something to do with only ageing a bit or something .. I don't really get it but I would like to understand it more.

I kind of feel like Mustang must feel like when wandering around Dixons and a spotty teenage assistant asks in a half broken voice if he wants to know more about HD LED TV's or Blu Rays..

Comment

Working...
                    X