• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Claiming Mileage From Client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claiming Mileage From Client

I am required to undertake some travel by car to meet some suppliers on behalf of my client. They has said I can claim this back from them.

For commuting to work I claim the mileage rate from my ltd company at the standard mileage rates. But what should I be claiming from my client ?

TIA.

Typically, it's usual to add this mileage to your invoice, and remember to add VAT too, if applicable.
    Clarity is everything

Comment

Sorry, just to be clear. The mileage I'm referring to is the mileage for meeting the suppliers, to which your client has agreed.
      It's this which should be added to the invoice, and have VAT added to it, if applicable.
      Clarity is everything

Comment

Depends what the agreement your company and the client is. If they agree you can "recharge" 45p for every mile your company incurred, assuming you're VAT registered, you can "recharge" 45p per mile and then apply VAT to the total @ 20%.

If they have agreed you can only "recharge" 20p per mile then you can do this but you would still apply 20% VAT to the total.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
          I am required to undertake some travel by car to meet some suppliers on behalf of my client. They has said I can claim this back from them.

For commuting to work I claim the mileage rate from my ltd company at the standard mileage rates. But what should I be claiming from my client ?

TIA.
          What is says in your contract. Or, if it is silent on the matter, miles travelled at a rate agreed between the two parties (start at 45ppm and see what happens).

Then add it to your invoice as mileage expenses of x miles at y ppm.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

TIA.
            What i do is have a mileage sheet (easily knocked up in excel) that shows the rate (45p) and the mileague and this calculates the full amount minus VAT.

I then get them to sign at the same time as my timesheet, then when i invoice the agency i have 2 lines the first says rate per day/hour the second says mileage and i enter the total amount and the VAT is generated on both amounts

Obviously thats for Mileage charged to the client, commuting mileage is put through to my accountant on my expenses sheet
            Last edited by Support Monkey; 18 November 2011, 11:57.

Comment

How much mileage are we talking here?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

But what should I be claiming from my client ?
                The maximum you can get away with plus VAT (assuming you are VAT registered).

If there is nothing in the contract, then you need to negotiate and see what you can get from them. Get the agreed rate in writing somewhere, so they can't quibble over it.

You may end up with more than the company repays the employee, you may end up with less.

And it might be worth seeing about travel time at this stage, just in case they start taking the piss.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I have always put the rate through at the goverment approved rate 40/45pence per mile even when there only paying the permie monkey's 20p, unless its written into the contract saying otherwise

Comment

Thanks for the responses all. To clarify, there is nothing in my contract relating to mileage claim amount, and I am required to travel probably no more than 200 miles.

I currently claim travel for commuting to/from client co from my ltd company, so I guess I just add this on ? I am within the 10k mile limit for this year still so sounds like I need to charge my clientco 45p / mile + vat.

I am also waiting for my accountant to clarify just to go via the formal channel.

Comment

Working...
                    X