• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help! Been offered a contract to work in Dublin- first timer!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Been offered a contract to work in Dublin- first timer!

Morning all-I need some help please as Im a newbie

Im in a full time consulting role in the UK - PAYE. I have had a very lucrative offer to leave my job and contract in Dublin for a min 6 months which may be extended to 12.

I need to know how I stand / avoid being hammered for Irish tax!

* I have a Ltd company set up in the UK
    * I will be invoicing the UK Agency who have offered the contract
    * They will be paying me in Euro
    * They will invoice the client direct in Dublin for their monies
    * I will be there Monday to Thursday - flying in on a Monday and out on a Thursday - 3 nights ( so using the midnight rule- only 3 days for tax purposes!)

At first glance, if I am only there for 3 tax days per week (unless the Irish rules have changed) I will be under the threshold even if I am there for a year however, Id appreciate any advice as this will be my first time!

cheers

Use the search facility and search for the words - "Dublin" or "Ireland".
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SCOTTP999 View Post
      Morning all-I need some help please as Im a newbie

Im in a full time consulting role in the UK - PAYE. I have had a very lucrative offer to leave my job and contract in Dublin for a min 6 months which may be extended to 12.

I need to know how I stand / avoid being hammered for Irish tax!

* I have a Ltd company set up in the UK
      * I will be invoicing the UK Agency who have offered the contract
      * They will be paying me in Euro
      * They will invoice the client direct in Dublin for their monies
      * I will be there Monday to Thursday - flying in on a Monday and out on a Thursday - 3 nights ( so using the midnight rule- only 3 days for tax purposes!)

At first glance, if I am only there for 3 tax days per week (unless the Irish rules have changed) I will be under the threshold even if I am there for a year however, Id appreciate any advice as this will be my first time!

cheers
      Dunno about the working abroad thing but I do know about euro invoicing.

A few things :-

- Is there any way to get them to allow you to invoice/pay in sterling? Being paid in euros is not the best situation at the moment if you can avoid it. Every time the euro falls it costs you money.

- Even though you invoice in euros, you're supposed to put sterling equivalent on there as well. (this is mainly for vat purposes).

- Get the dosh paid into a euro account preferably with a linked sterling account (cater allen do this - its 9E to recieve into euro account but free to transfer to sterling - albeit rate aint the est). Otherwise, euro into sterling account is gonna cost you.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I done a contract in Dublin in 2006, done the 3 day thing, never had a problem.
        My situation was slightly different in that I contracted through Irish agency, invoiced in Euros, paid into Cater Allen Euro Account, no problem. Never subjected to Irish Tax, also after 6 months on working in Dublin, the company said I could work from home for the Duration, albeit with monthly visits to Dublin for a couple of days at a time.

Invoicing in the Uk would mean you would need to charge UK VAT surely? If you've billed in UK, then surely you would be paid in UK? If your contract with UK agency then it must be viewed as UK to UK deal?
        threenine.co.uk
        Cultivate, Develop & Sustain Innovation

Comment

Working...
        X