• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Disabled facilities

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disabled facilities

If there are 2 toilets, one marked Disabled and one not, and there is a long queue for the non-special one and no-one using the disabled, is it ok to pop in and pee in that, or is it wrong?

If in a car park all the non-marked spaces are full, and there are 7 Disabled parking spaces, all empty, is it ok to park (in the farthest one of course), or is it wrong?

I ask these questions to draw out people's attitudes, and to see if there is any accompanying logic.

That's interesting, that is

Originally posted by expat
    If there are 2 toilets, one marked Disabled and one not, and there is a long queue for the non-special one and no-one using the disabled, is it ok to pop in and pee in that, or is it wrong?

If in a car park all the non-marked spaces are full, and there are 7 Disabled parking spaces, all empty, is it ok to park (in the farthest one of course), or is it wrong?

I ask these questions to draw out people's attitudes, and to see if there is any accompanying logic.
    I wouldn't even think about queueing if there's a disabled toilet free, but wouldn't park in a disabled bay. Don't know if there is an underlying logic though, except that you don't get towed away for using a disabled toilet.
    Why not?

Comment

IMO
      It is OK to use the loo, even if you have to join a queue to do so.
      It is not OK to use the parking space.

Dont know why I think that though. I think the parking spaces are for exclusive use the loos are just bigger to allow disabled access.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
        IMO
        It is OK to use the loo, even if you have to join a queue to do so.
        It is not OK to use the parking space.

Dont know why I think that though. I think the parking spaces are for exclusive use the loos are just bigger to allow disabled access.
        Funny. that's exactly what I think, but I can't see my own logic.

Unless, you know you won't be long in the toilet...

Logically, shouldn't the same apply to both: special facilities for the disabled are there to allow them to live their lives on the same basis as the rest of us, not to give them priority. Make a toilet that a wheelchair user can use, yes indded. Keep it always unused so that they can always go straight in, why?

Parking ought to be likewise: the disabled should have parking spaces adapted to their needs so that they can park as conveniently as I can, or as near as we can make it: therefore, close to the door, wide, no kerbs, etc. And reserve them for the disabled in the first instance, i.e. others use up all the other spaces first. But why should the disabled have spaces lying empty for them when others can not park at all? I'm not trying to be heartless, but surely the point is precisely to remove the disadvantage of their disability as best we can, and put them in the same position as the rest of us?

Comment

Yep because there is descrimination against those not disabled by providing less facilities in proportion to the population.

Again I would say the ratio of spaces to those that actually need them is wrong and local councils issue a lot of disabled stickers to those that don't need them. I would avoid as much as possible parking in one and certainly would not park in the last space but if I was going to be quick then a different story. Privateeye has done some work to prove certain scroungers are not disabled for insurance co's and benefits agency

Comment

Originally posted by privateeye
            I would say the ratio of spaces to those that actually need them is wrong
            Yes but I bet you get some dirty looks if you try to suggest converting some of the disabled spaces back to ordinary!

PS I used to avoid using Disabled toilets too, but I was led to question my logic there, by a case of a long queue outside the only non-marked toilet, with the Disabled one completely unused, because this was at a hiking trailhead in the Rockies.

Comment

It's becoming more and more of a moot point anyway, as disabled toilets seem invariably to be locked so that no one can use them.

Comment

Originally posted by Davros
                It's becoming more and more of a moot point anyway, as disabled toilets seem invariably to be locked so that no one can use them.
                That's a good point. It probably shows a lot of people able to think for themselves and just go in an unused Disabled toilet. Can't have that, rules must be obeyed regardless of sense.

Comment

It is perfectly OK in my book, same goes for women waiting in a queue, why not use the mens?

I occasionally use the disabled spaces as the "normal" spaces are often way too narrow for the kinds of car I tend to drive. I even had a long slanging match with a jobsworth at Meadowhall because I took up two normal parking spaces. I could have parked how he wanted and then taken up three, but I thought that was truly idiotic. But he was a car park security guy at Meadowhall so I shouldn't have expected an IQ above the level of a warm croissant, and I was a little bored, and it offered some small excitement to an otherwise dull day which was why I was there in the first place.

Peoples logic, I find, tends to be to their advantage and few see the wider picture.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I always use the disbaled toilets when I'm out. Much cleaner then the normal toliets and so much more spacious ! Never any pee on the seat. As for parking - wouldn't park in a disabled bay.

Comment

Working...
                    X