• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scrum Master v Project Manager

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scrum Master v Project Manager

Starting my new gig so gonna bone up on a few new skills while I am working away, I am not a PM but always think that having a PM qual on the CV is handy. I generally work in the SDLC with input end to end from Dev to Post Deploy so thinking that Scrum Master might be a better bet, however is it any use where Agile is not being used, ie I know the PM stuff will always be some what relevant on an assignment, where as Scrum Master will be very relevant, but only on the right project.

Anyone got any advice on either direction?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Bump for those with a life and don't spend all weekend on an internet forum

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

What qualifies you to be a "Scrum Master"?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
        The ScrumMaster is responsible for making sure a Scrum team lives by the values and practices of Scrum
        So basically you have to make sure everything is scrummy. The biscuits, the sandwiches, and especially the women on the team.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I took the Prince2 Practitioner course in some down time and it definitely helped get my current contract. I'd say if Agile isn't beng used it seems people often want to see one of the traditional PM certifications, i.e. Prince2/PMP/APM combined with experience

I've been looking at the Scrum master as well, just as I'm using Agile methodology on my side project (or at least my interpretation of Agile ). I'm not sure how much weight it carries with Agile types though as it's just a 2 day course and it seems they pretty much pass everyone.

Comment

I have recently passed the Agile Foundation and Practitioner - twas a touch easy!

the concept of Scrum would seem to work whenever you have a group of people sitting in the same area who are working on the same project/workstream and whose outputs rely on the outputs of others in the group.

The one push back I seem to get when looking at this route is the daily standup as some people see this as a little demeaning to have to justify there work and time on a daily basis.

On another note the benefits of Agile if properly used help to start the realisation of the project ROI earlier and also it does not require that the users know exactly what they want up front and it is often better to be realistic and look at an iterative development cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
              Same as qualifies me as a project manager, nothing at moment, thats why I am wanting to skill up. I have tangible links to both areas, just after advice on which is most sought after to get the formal quals to back up the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                Same as qualifies me as a project manager, nothing at moment, thats why I am wanting to skill up. I have tangible links to both areas, just after advice on which is most sought after to get the formal quals to back up the experience.
                So, no experience as a Scrum Master then?

In my experience moving sideways into a "Scrum Master" role from Team Lead role is more appropriate than moving "down" from a PM role.

Experience of migrating or being part of a migration from "Waterfall" to "Agile" would serve you better than any pay-for-certificate course.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                  The one push back I seem to get when looking at this route is the daily standup as some people see this as a little demeaning to have to justify there work and time on a daily basis.
                  From my experience, the people who resist these the most tend to be the lazy and disorganised.
                  If you're on top of your work then these sessions are a good opportunity to make sure that someone else isn't dragging you down (without the rest of the team knowing about it)
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                    From my experience, the people who resist these the most tend to be the lazy and disorganised.
                    If you're on top of your work then these sessions are a good opportunity to make sure that someone else isn't dragging you down (without the rest of the team knowing about it)
                    The standup is supposed to be a chance to see where you are with a project, not some cut-price blamestorming session. The scrum master should make sure it doesn't end up like that.
                    +50 Xeno Geek Points
                    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Working...
                    X