• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK will ultimately join euro says Lord Heseltine

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK will ultimately join euro says Lord Heseltine

Welcome aboard...

Vote Labour go on I dare you.

Former deputy prime minister Lord Heseltine has said he still expects the UK to eventually join the euro.

The Conservative peer, one of his party's most pro-European figures, said the eurozone had real problems but he hoped it would survive as its collapse would be "catastrophic" for the UK.

All three of the largest Westminster parties have ruled out joining the euro in the foreseeable future.

UK Independence Party leader Nigel Farage said the eurozone was "failing".

Prime Minister David Cameron has faced opposition to his European policies within Conservative ranks, with more than 80 MPs defying the government and calling for a referendum on EU membership.

'Hell of a problem'
    Many other backbenchers are calling on the PM to use the current financial instability, and talk of closer integration among countries using the single currency, to renegotiate the UK's relationship.

As one of the party's most staunch pro-European voices, Lord Heseltine has argued that all UK prime ministers have found themselves presiding over a deeper relationship between the UK and Europe.

Asked by the BBC's Politics Show if he still felt the UK would ultimately join the single currency, he replied: "I think we will join the euro."

He acknowledged that the eurozone was in crisis but said he believed it would endure, largely due to the determination of Germany and France to preserve its "cohesiveness".

"I think the chances, and it is a balance, are that the euro will survive.

"They (Germany and France) have got a hell of a problem, let's be frank about that, but my guess is that they will find a way through.

"I hope they will because the downside for the British economy of the eurozone going under is catastrophic. People have no idea of the scale of money British banks are owed by European banks."

He said European co-operation since the 1950s had been "remarkably successful".

But UKIP leader Mr Farage said the installation of technocratic governments in Italy and Greece was bad for democracy and meant Europe institutions were even more remote from the people.

"Those Mediterranean countries need to leave the eurozone," Mr Farage told the same BBC programme. "Those countries are in the wrong currency. The whole thing is failing. It is going to break up."

'German dominance'
    Germany had become "totally dominant" in Europe, he claimed, after Chancellor Angela Merkel had "stepped into the breach" left by a vacuum of leadership in Brussels.

He suggested that the UK should model itself on Norway which - by remaining outside of the EU - had control over farming and fisheries policies and was not bound by policies on justice and home affairs.

"Being like Norway would be a very good holding position for the UK," he said.

"It would guarantee us free trade and give us a chance to negotiate a deal, like Switzerland has, where they don't have to have any of the rules."

The PM has said leaving the EU and negotiating trade agreements would leave the UK in the worst of all positions where it would still be bound by many EU rules but unable to influence its decisions.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Heseltine is an advisor to Cameron
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      Heseltine is an advisor to Cameron
      Maybe they should both get on their bikes?

Comment

Thatcher had Heseltine sussed. But then she had everyone sussed.

When will the UK become like Switzerland? Europe will be trading partners. We save billions a year in subsidies. Less regulation means we can compete with Asia.

Comment

Former deputy prime minister Lord Heseltine has said he still expects the UK to eventually join the euro.
          Jeez, don't these bumbling old fossils ever give up?
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            Jeez, don't these bumbling old fossils ever give up?
            Said Owly's project manager
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

"It would guarantee us free trade and give us a chance to negotiate a deal, like Switzerland has, where they don't have to have any of the rules."
              That's complete and utter nonsense, they have even signed up to "Schengen", i.e. no passport control now at the borders, which the UK doesn't have, and any EU citizen can just go and live there. Switzerland is in all but name in the EU. They've implemented virtually everything. They've even pegged their currency to the Euro and are spending billions maintaining that peg, which makes a mockery of the argument they save money because they don't have to contribute to proppping up the Euro....they do! Like the UK they have certain exceptions such as protection on their agriculture.

I'm all in favour of having a debate about Europe, it's just sceptics don't understand how Europe works or how countries outside the EU relate to it.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

One day the whole world will have a single currency. Remember you heard it here first.
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                  One day the whole world will have a single currency. Remember you heard it here first.
                  No I heard that from AtW.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                    No I heard that from John Lennon
                    Will it be called the Worldo? Or the Eartho? Or perhaps the Mondo?
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                    X