• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you deal with a poorly organised client?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What has been your most poorly organised gig and how do you deal with it?

Came in to this one for technology X where I am an expert. Work is manageable.

Anyway, they "are so happy with what I'm doing" that they have now assigned me work on technology Y. I have no experience of tech Y. There is no documentation on the process to follow. There are just a few blokes who have been doing it for years. It's 90% arcane, convoluted, internal process and 10% tech stuff I can pick up from the manual.

Which would normally be fine, happy to be paid to learn new skills, however they have assigned me the most complex, high profile work possible. If it is delivered late there is a cost of several hundred thousand dollars.

One of the Y experts sat me down to train me by correcting some of the work I had done. He started taking apart one of my pieces of work. You've missed out this. We don't do it that way. After the first five minutes or so, quite confused, I pointed out that this wasn't actually my work. It was the example he had given me and expected me to copy. Words fail me.

I'm a bit concerned that the difficult jobs are getting shoved to me as the new meat when obviously you want your most experienced folk on the tough stuff.

So when do you raise the red flag and how do you phrase it. "I'm very happy to do the work but there's a big risk to the project if I start off on the high profile tasks."

Last edited by SimonMac; 20 November 2011, 21:32.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

The critical question is whether they are organised enough to pay your invoices on time. If they are, then all is well.

In terms of your 'big red flag'. it's often easier to raise lots of little red flags in terms of risks an issues. Make it constructive, offering mitigation etc. You are then doing your job and helping them understand the road ahead and covering yourself. On my current gig I did raise one big red flag, because there really was no alternative. Someone had a quiet word in my ear to remove it which I did, confirming by email that I gad removed risk '.....' at their request.

It's fun! If they were any good, they wouldn't be getting me in in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        It's fun! If they were any good, they wouldn't be getting me in in the first place.
        Doesn't that just about sum up contracting in one sentence?
        Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
          Doesn't that just about sum up contracting in one sentence?
          No, in two sentences.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            No, in two sentences.
            Doh, I missed out the fun
            Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
              Slap them upside the head, give it 2 weeks and then if they don't pull their socks up, walk out on them.

SY01
              "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

As SimonMac says: keep invoicing. Unless you are there for 10 years and de-skill relative to tech progression, which could be detrimental to the CV, just keep filling that warchest.
                If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

When I find myself in this position, I always ask myself - WWSYD?

It's all downhill from there (apart from having to change the sheets, obviously)
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    When I find myself in this position, I always ask myself - WWSYD?

It's all downhill from there (apart from having to change the sheets, obviously)
                    Why have you got a horrible picture of David Cameron as your photo?

Comment

Working...
                    X