• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Think of the children

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think of the children

Official government statistics suggest one in five children in the UK (2.6 million) lives in poverty.

For a family of four, that is defined as having an income of £347 a week or less.
    A single person would struggle to survive on that in London, never mind a family of four.

BBC News - Children's commissioners warn on child poverty
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    A single person would struggle to survive on that in London, never mind a family of four.

BBC News - Children's commissioners warn on child poverty
    £347 per week. Minted.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Wouldn't you get a council house, free school meals etc if you were at that level?
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

I could live on 50 quid a week if I was so inclined.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          I could live on 50 quid a week if I was so inclined.
          £60. You'll have to drop the cider.

Layabout on dole drinks 24 cans of lager a day | The Sun |News
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Headline grabbing figures, but typical BBC neglect to explain the statistics.

The definition of 'poverty', in this case, is relative. Being in 'poverty' is defined as having an income below 60% of the median. Because of this statistical relationship there will always be 1 in 4/5/6 ish in 'poverty' so long as the typical (+ve skewed) income bell curve exists.

For example, give everyone in the country a 100% rise in income and there will STILL be 1 in 5 children in 'poverty'!
            It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
              The definition of 'poverty', in this case, is relative. Being in 'poverty' is defined as having an income below 60% of the median. Because of this statistical relationship there will always be 1 in 4/5/6 ish in 'poverty' so long as the typical (+ve skewed) income bell curve exists.
              http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/9/section/3

This does appear to be the case. Who puts these people in charge?

I suppose the idea is that only childless people should be living in poor households.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
              X