• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unrest in Egypt, should I go?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unrest in Egypt, should I go?

Never had a problem going to Egypt even during the last troubles.

Never had a problem going to Egypt even during the last troubles.

But currently don't feel too good about going next month.

Current polls show Muslim Brotherhood will get about half the vote. Extremist will get 25% and others will get the rest.

From my reading of the situation, the extremists will not gain anything by letting the election go ahead as they will lose. Even if they win the army would not let them take power. One strategy could be to try to take the army out now. They don't want people to have a normal life as they know they would not get into power in the future.

They will need to intensify the problems in Egypt, attacking tourists is one option for them. The Russians have already see that, and have stopped all tourist flights to Egypt last weekend.

Should I stay or should I go?
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Where are you going and what are you going for? Makes a huge difference.

If you are going sightseeing in Cairo I would question it unless you are the adventurous type. If you are going holiday in Sharm then you will be fine.

You could also probably get away with working in Cairo. The big hotels on the island are pretty immune to all this and limo from hotel to work would be safe enough.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Where are you going and what are you going for? Makes a huge difference.

If you are going sightseeing in Cairo I would question it unless you are the adventurous type. If you are going holiday in Sharm then you will be fine.

You could also probably get away with working in Cairo. The big hotels on the island are pretty immune to all this and limo from hotel to work would be safe enough.
      I will be on holiday in Sharm.

But Sharm is a target rich environment if the Extremist want to make a point. (the army is not in control)
      Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

But Islam is a religion of peace, so you'll be fine.

Me, I'll stick to those dangerous Christian countries for my holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post

But Sharm is a target rich environment if the Extremist want to make a point. (the army is not in control)
          I stayed in Sharm a few months back to be honest Naama Bay is a dump so don't bother going there thats where they bombed before. I just ended up staying in hotel most have armed guards on the gates and doors.

--Just read you post about Russians not going ... I wouldn't go then to be honest.
          Last edited by Bumfluff; 21 November 2011, 13:59.

Comment

According to the clash "If I go there will be trouble. And if I stay it will be double". So you should go and be in half as much trouble as if you stayed.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post

Get some professional advice but Sharm is a million miles away from Cairo culture wise. I was very disappointed after working in Cairo to find so little of it exists Sharm. Could have been Turkey or something like that. The only thing noticeable was the sellers are a lot quicker to grab you and take a lot more interest in the ladies and kids (we have a 10 year old blonde blue eyed lad so was hard work) but that is arabic culture in general. They still have to make a living and that is purely from the tourists out there. Mubarak was in the hospital there while were there and no one batted an eyelid.

Egypt still has a class culture and it is the lower classes who don't work etc doing most of the rioting. The guys working in Sham are not the same.

If you are in an all inclusive hotel you probably won't know you are in Egypt IMO.

Which hotel out of interest?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Sharm ?
                dodgy place. very scary

A mate of mine(likes Egypt, he's been a few times) had all luggage nicked by a gang of Tureg camel-bandits. They made him eat dried camel dung then they kicked sand in his face
                swines

no wait. That was Tripoli

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I think there are two ways of looking at this.

The first is that these problems that are happening in Egypt are on the streets of Cairo which is hundreds of miles away form this resort where you will be staying and, as other posters have said, this resort is microcosm of western world where people come for decadence. These people that we see in Tahrir Square are not the demographic that one will encounter wandering the streets of Sharm.

The other way to look at this is that these people who protest in Cairo and these extremists may look at Sharm and think this is a microcosm of western decadence and decide to go there as it is soft target and inflict their anger on westerners there as they represent everything they are against.

But ultimately the decision must rest with you - there is no right or wrong answer when considering this. Personally I would go but I would keep my ear to the ground at all times when I was there.

Comment

Now I can add EARTHQUAKES to my list, FFS

Youm7 English Edition | Earthquake hit 4.1 on Richter scale in Sharm el- Sheikh
                    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Working...
                    X