• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Idiotic New Labour

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idiotic New Labour

Ministers consider scheme to guarantee mortgages | Business | The Guardian

Sunday 26 July 2009 17.09 BST

First time home buyers could be thrown a lifeline under plans being considered by the Treasury to underwrite 'risky' mortgages, allowing people with only small deposits to buy homes.

Since the credit crunch took hold, banks have demanded far tougher criteria for lending, asking buyers to provide between 25% and 30% of the price of a home as a deposit.

VS

Idiotic ConDems

Taxpayer to take on mortgage risks of first-time buyers - Telegraph

The mortgage guarantee, the first time such a scheme has been attempted in the UK, will result in lenders providing loans with significantly lower deposits than the 20 per cent or more that is typically demanded. The taxpayer, however, could be liable for losses in the event that a home is repossessed.

Why dont they go the whole way and even market them as 'Toxic Loans'

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
      Doesn't quite have the same ring to it as 'Ocean Finance', does it ?
      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Number10gov: #housingstrategy: any buyer of a new home - not just 1st time buyers - can apply to borrow up to 95% of the value. New strategy to deliver homes and strengthen the economy - Corporate - Department for Communities and Local Government
        Original Tweet: Twitter / UK Prime Minister: #housingstrategy: any buye ...

BOOMED BTL Empire here I come.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn;1431632[url=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/8903125/Taxpayer-to-take-on-mortgage-risks-of-first-time-buyers.html
          Taxpayer to take on mortgage risks of first-time buyers - Telegraph[/url]

The mortgage guarantee, the first time such a scheme has been attempted in the UK, will result in lenders providing loans with significantly lower deposits than the 20 per cent or more that is typically demanded. The taxpayer, however, could be liable for losses in the event that a home is repossessed.
          What I heard on Radio 4 this morning was that the taxpayer will fund Mortgage Indemnity Guarantees (MIGs)

Hmm, someone told me a year or two ago those had been made illegal, I guess they were wrong.

From the Telegraph article:

They also propose subsidising the construction of 16,000 homes by giving £400 million of taxpayers’ money to property developers.
          That'll be the usual suspects such as Barratt them.

Who incidentally used to use MIGs to cover the expected shortfall between their sales price and the market value.

They did make getting a mortgage easy though.

Tough if you bought one of their studio flats though. Those were nigh on impossible to sell, and I met quite a few folks who got stuck with them. Barratt even build what my parents would have known as back to backs, except they gave them a flashier sounding name.

Same principle though.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
            Freddie Mac and Fanny Mae?

You couldn't make thus stuff up.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
              They also propose subsidising the construction of 16,000 homes by giving £400 million of taxpayers’ money to property developers.
              Wouldn't it be better just to reduce immigration by 16,000 x 2 (people per house), or dare I say, more?

Comment

Working...
              X