• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WTF of the Day: The obsession with cupcakes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTF of the Day: The obsession with cupcakes

I've heard a few stories recently where women have gone into the cupcake business and I still can't see the attraction in them.

Are they the latest fashion accessory now bints have got tired of their handbag dogs?

Maybe there's loads of people thinking they're posh if they pay a few quid for a Kipling rip-off.

My Groupon nightmare! Baker who sells 100 cupcakes a month is forced to bake 102,000 after bargain hunters flock to her 75% off web deal | Mail Online

Box of cupcakes usually sold for £26 offered at £6.50 - with a £2.50 loss on each box
    26 quid!

I think some people need taxing more if they're willing to shell out that much on a regular basis.

£2.50 loss on each box. Oops.

I'm sure I saw a fictional programme once (Weeds IIRC) where they had a fake cake shop selling stuff laced with drugs. Maybe that's the real attraction, yet people are selling legitimate cakes to mug punters who experience a placebic high.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

I've seen flour-based products in a new light since buying flour for 52p/1.5 kg, and the ease with which bread and cake can be made for much cheapness and little hassleness. Ditto for pizza bases. Almost quicker than going to the shop. Although I admit I often don't bother to cook my cakes, I eat the cake mix, which is delicious.

Comment

ah cupcakes and bunting

takes me back to me childhood.

then there was my teenage years

bupcakes and ****ing

Last edited by administrator; 22 November 2011, 15:03. Reason: Cheeky bunt
      (\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

What a load of rubbish.

Headline says, she sells 100 cupcakes per month and has 8 staff. Do the maths.

What rot.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
          I've heard a few stories recently where women have gone into the cupcake business and I still can't see the attraction in them
          It's for people who want to be a bit different i.e. instead of having a birthday cake or a wedding cake you get cup cakes.

It can also work out cheaper if you don't want to end up with lots of cake left at the end of your celebration.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            I've seen flour-based products in a new light since buying flour for 52p/1.5 kg, and the ease with which bread and cake can be made for much cheapness and little hassleness. Ditto for pizza bases. Almost quicker than going to the shop. Although I admit I often don't bother to cook my cakes, I eat the cake mix, which is delicious.
            Yep. Same with fruit pies, flans and crumbles. Compare the cost of a full one cooked yourself with a slice you get at a bakery. It's quite stunning really.

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            Although I admit I often don't bother to cook my cakes, I eat the cake mix, which is delicious.
            As a nipper I couldn't understand why mother put the mix into the oven. Much better straight from the bowl at that age
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
              Yep. Same with fruit pies, flans and crumbles. Compare the cost of a full one cooked yourself with a slice you get at a bakery. It's quite stunning really.
              Hmm, that could be my next cooking project. I rarely have any fruit stocked but I could buy some I suppose.

As a nipper I couldn't understand why mother put the mix into the oven. Much better straight from the bowl at that age
              We used to lick the mixing bowl and the mixer implement and preferred that to the finished cake.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                ah cupcakes and bunting

takes me back to me childhood.

then there was my teenage years

bupcakes and *******

I love eating these.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  I love eating these.

I've definitely had a few of those. Especially 3rd in from the top. A whole new meaning to Krispy Kremes.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    I love eating these.

Mrs EO is happy with my offering

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X