• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Breakfast Recipe for the Winter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breakfast Recipe for the Winter

I don't know about you but I have stuggled adapting to eating breakfast over here. Generally some bread ot tost is fine but on these cold winter mornings I find that it would be nice to have something warm inside before setting out.

To be honest, I don't have a sweet tooth and ergo I find the traditional dish of porridge that seems to be eaten by my colleagues a bit sickly.

Havuing said that, porridge is very warming and it keeps the hunger pangs at bay throughout the course of the morning.

So, I have come up with a new porridge recipe to share with all of you who prefer savoury things to sweet things.

1) Boil the porridge oats in salted water and add a handful of olives
    2) Let simmer for a few minutes. Don't use the spoon.
    3) Serve into a bowl and drizzle the surface liberally with olive oil (in the same manner as you would a bowl of hummous).

It's really nice - you just have to try and forget that it's porridge.

Originally posted by Hill Station Murthy View Post
    it would be nice to have something warm inside before setting out.
    Yep, that's exactly what Lady Tester said yesterday before I set off for another week at clientco, so I obliged, gentleman that I am.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

It's really nice - you just have to try and forget that it's porridge.
      What's wrong with porridge? I like porridge, but I wouldn't destroy it with olives.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        What's wrong with porridge? I like porridge, but I wouldn't destroy it with olives.
        If you look in the opening paragraphs of my original post I pointed out that I don't have sweet tooth

Comment

If you look in the opening paragraphs of my original post I pointed out that I don't have sweet tooth
          Porridge doesn't have to be sweet. You can make it with salt as easily as with sugar. I hate it either way though!
          Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

If you want a filling, savoury breakfast, cook up a pot of dhal the night before. Gently heat a portion while you boil an egg and warm an "individual" sized, or "mini" naan.

Serve dhal, garnish with quartered boiled egg (with a pinch of paprika on the yolk), and scoop it up with the naan.

If you've already made the dhal, this takes about 5-6 mins to make, and soooooooo much nicer than greasy, salty porridge.
            Last edited by wobbegong; 22 November 2011, 11:29.
            The vegetarian option.

Comment

Just go for the fry-up & pay the consequences
              Growing old is mandatory
              Growing up is optional

Comment

Porridge isn't sweet until you pour syrup on top. Mmm, syrup.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
                  If you want a filling, savoury breakfast, cook up a pot of dhal the night before. Gently heat a portion while you boil an egg and warm an "individual" sized, or "mini" naan.

Serve dhal, garnish with quartered boiled egg (with a pinch of paprika on the yolk), and scoop it up with the naan.

If you've already made the dhal, this takes about 5-6 mins to make, and soooooooo much nicer than greasy, salty porridge.
                  kedgeree is nice, a mixture of rice and smoked haddock.

Someone here will doubtless have a decent recipe, or you could try a web search
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Oats: 'a grain, which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland supports the people.' - Samuel Johnson, Dictionary of the English Language.

Comment

Working...
                    X