• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sales Calls

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sales Calls

I take about 4 sales calls a day from people selling corporate hospitality, recruitment agents () photocopier sales, office supplies etc etc. Obviously I am a very busy man but I do it in the hope that occasionally there is something I need (a preloaded credit card for foreign business trips at very competitive exchange rates is one such example). It is also nice to have a girlie call (I always take female calls) but what really "pisses" me off is when they open up by asking how I am and if I am having a good week- as if they know me.
    i do a lot of "cold calls" and I never do this unless I know the person. To hear it from these people simply makes the stomach churn. Who is it training these people?
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    I take about 4 sales calls a day from people selling corporate hospitality, recruitment agents () photocopier sales, office supplies etc etc. Obviously I am a very busy man but I do it in the hope that occasionally there is something I need (a preloaded credit card for foreign business trips at very competitive exchange rates is one such example). It is also nice to have a girlie call (I always take female calls) but what really "pisses" me off is when they open up by asking how I am and if I am having a good week- as if they know me.
    i do a lot of "cold calls" and I never do this unless I know the person. To hear it from these people simply makes the stomach churn. Who is it training these people?
    "Oi ****. Got a job ,you want it?"

Subtle.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      "Oi ****. Got a job ,you want it?"

Subtle.
      "I've got a nice little earner in upmarket Doncaster"
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Yeppers. Their opening gambit is an ice breaker and once you have entered into one of these types of discussins I think it oputs you wery much on the back foot and it makes it harder to play hard ball and cut them off.

This very much depends on the type of person they are dealing with of course and I think they are very much playing on something that I have noticed over here and that is that there is this veneer of niceness in all day to day dealings whether you are letting someone in a queue or picking up something dropped on the floor by someone.

People are very much adverse to doing anything to break out of the niceness so the sooner the niceness begins the sooner you have them trapped.

Comment

Originally posted by Hill Station Murthy View Post
          People are very much adverse to doing anything to break out of the niceness so the sooner the niceness begins the sooner you have them trapped.
          These are agents, not people
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

what really "pisses" me off is when they open up by asking how I am and if I am having a good week- as if they know me.
            I once had an agent who kept calling me "my friend". Given that I'd never met him, and had no inclination to meet him, it used to really grate on my nerves.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

what really "pisses" me off is when they open up by asking how I am and if I am having a good week- as if they know me.
              Huxley have a habit of doing that, even using the word 'mate'.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I find that all cold calls are horrible - even "good" polished ones. I sometimes wonder if being less polished, so you sound more human, would be better - for my plan B I have to do cold calling (and I HATE it). Dodgy, what's your preferred approach?
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  I find that all cold calls are horrible - even "good" polished ones. I sometimes wonder if being less polished, so you sound more human, would be better - for my plan B I have to do cold calling (and I HATE it). Dodgy, what's your preferred approach?
                  Very simple really just introduce yourself tell them what you're about and then ask if they're interested. You need to highlight what's so gr8 about what your selling them of course.

The main thing is getting to speak to the person in charge, no point in leaving a message with a secretary or talking to his assistant. You've got to talk to the decision maker.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    The main thing is getting to speak to the person in charge, no point in leaving a message with a secretary or talking to his assistant. You've got to talk to the decision maker.
                    Which means finding out which boozer he drinks in, what clubs he's a member of and finding out who you know who can introduce you.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X