• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which Browser? - On my main computer I mainly use:

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Browser? - On my main computer I mainly use:

which browser?
    Internet Explorer
    7.14%
    Firefox
    32.14%
    Chrome
    48.21%
    Safari
    5.36%
    Opera
    3.57%
    Other
    3.57%
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Firefox, but at client site it's IE8.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Chrome is my favourite after trying recent versions of IE and Firefox.

Seems to be more responsive and thus perceived as faster (maybe to do with the javascript engine that IIRC compiles rather than interprets) and takes up less screen space with the menus/tabs.

Though I have to run it in a virtual machine as it crashes my PC with lovely random BSODs when running in the Windows 7 64-bit host.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
        Though I have to run it in a virtual machine as it crashes my PC with lovely random BSODs when running in the Windows 7 64-bit host.
        runs fine in my windows 7 64-bit laptop

still chuckling over the fact that you run your browser in a VM though
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          I voted "Other" since there's not an AndyW option.
          Me too.

Originally posted by zeitghost
          There's no "IE5.5" option either.
          What about Netscape Navigator?

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
            Seems to be more responsive and thus perceived as faster (maybe to do with the javascript engine that IIRC compiles rather than interprets) and takes up less screen space with the menus/tabs.

All modern browser JS engines do similar compilation. Benchmarks are of course notoriously unrealistic guides to real world performance, but it's worthy of note that, for some of the benchmarks that used to show Chrome as way ahead of the pack, the top performer now is... IE9!

Chrome still turns in good (and for some cases best) results overall, but it definitely isn't anything like as clear a separation as it was in the dim and distant past - say, about twelve months ago.

Comment

Why is there no option for Mosaic?

I like Mosaic, it stops me from seeing sites that use frames.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                Chrome still turns in good (and for some cases best) results overall, but it definitely isn't anything like as clear a separation as it was in the dim and distant past - say, about twelve months ago.

I still prefer the clean minimalist interface.
                Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                  runs fine in my windows 7 64-bit laptop
                  I seem to remember this discussion recently. I've given up trying to find the cause now it (so far) seems more stable running in a guest than host.

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                  still chuckling over the fact that you run your browser in a VM though

Great for isolating stuff that's being a bit naughty, especially when seemingly random and not easily fixable, and I need to put my new quad core 16gb PC to some use.

Otherwise I could have stuck with my old dual core 2gb jobbie that was as stable as a rock.

That's the price of progress.
                  Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Firefox now, but constant lock-ups and slow-downs are making me think very seriously about moving to Chrome.

I'll just keep FF for Firebug.

Comment

Working...
                    X