• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh dear: Foreign prisoners have reoffended

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh dear: Foreign prisoners have reoffended

"At least five of the foreign prisoners freed without being deported have gone on to commit more serious crimes.

Home Secretary Charles Clarke said the five had been convicted since release for offences relating to drugs, violent disorder and inflicting bodily harm."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4954476.stm

Don't think Mr Clarkes bank holiday weekend is going to be a relaxed one.

Bye bye Big Ears...

...nice end to the week!

1 down, 3 to go....
    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

I never rated the bloke anyway. Since Blunkett came on board at the home office it's been like the blind leading the blind...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

The Tories and Lib Dems say the latest news reinforces their calls for him to quit - but Mr Clarke says he will stay. "I believe I have the ability, knowledge and talent to lead the Home Office in the best way to deal with those issues and that is what I intend to do," Mr Clarke told BBC News. The Home Office was now in the middle of "dramatic change" to enable it to meet the challenges of the modern world, he argued.

So there you go then. Official recognition that the ability to bolt the stable door before the horse the fled is not what is required of a senior minister, merely the ability to clear up afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore
          I never rated the bloke anyway. Since Blunkett came on board at the home office it's been like the blind leading the blind...

I blame the too small signs on South West Trains for this crisis.

Comment

He should resign, but what's the point. They'll just replace one dim light bulb with another!

Comment

If only the scumverment would resign...

Comment

It's shocking, isn't it ?

Were you or I to behave like this in a corporate environment, we would face almost certain punishment.

I hereby propose a Civil Charter, that states. "if any elected Member of Government tells a porkie", they face summary execution.
                Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

How is it that councillors can get surcharged millions (Tory ones anyway) but ministers are immune from every consequence?

In my view He-Who-Must-Be-Stabbed should personally foot the bill for Iraq and Brownstuff for at least the loss on that gold reserves sale. Might make the bastards think a bit before they act.

They might then be so scared they never do anything. Good. The best government we could possibly have would be one that never did anything!
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
                    In my view He-Who-Must-Be-Stabbed should personally foot the bill for Iraq and Brownstuff for at least the loss on that gold reserves sale. Might make the bastards think a bit before they act.
                    I think brownstuff had to sell the gold when he did, on account of some secret agreement signed with the EU by his dimwitted neighbour.

Not defending him mind, but for all their airs and graces, he and his colleagues are little more than office boys to the EU these days. I'm looking forward to seeing how UKIP and the BNP do in next week's local elections.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X