• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Days rates in F1

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Days rates in F1

I'm getting multiple calls for roles in F1, bt the agent, I think is pulling a fast one regardig the rate.

I'm currently on a day rate and all is good because it's worked out that I end up doing a 7-8 hour day, so it works out a pretty good hourly equivilent for the area I work in anyhow.

I get loads of agents calling trying to convince me to go for other roles on a higher day rate, but for example in F1, where I expect they work a shed load of hours - so not so good hourly equivilent. The agents telling me it's an 8-9 hour day.

Anyone work in F1 - is it the long hour culture I expect it to be? Any perks?

And generally, is the day rate generally a way to rip of the unexpecting contractor? (By lying about working culture prior to starting the role).

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
    I'm getting multiple calls for roles in F1, bt the agent, I think is pulling a fast one regardig the rate.

I'm currently on a day rate and all is good because it's worked out that I end up doing a 7-8 hour day, so it works out a pretty good hourly equivilent for the area I work in anyhow.

I get loads of agents calling trying to convince me to go for other roles on a higher day rate, but for example in F1, where I expect they work a shed load of hours - so not so good hourly equivilent. The agents telling me it's an 8-9 hour day.

And generally, is the day rate generally a way to rip of the unexpecting contractor? (By lying about working culture prior to starting the role).
    I went for a role at Maclaren a couple of years ago and the rate was cr*p. Mainly because people were desperate to do it. Perks included going to signapore GP etc, so you can see why. I prefer the cash.

Comment

Surely it depends what you're working on. Car development, back-end systems, or software nothing to do with the car, like their internal billing system...
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I went for a role at arrows years ago. Crap money, great perks.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Surely it depends what you're working on. Car development, back-end systems, or software nothing to do with the car, like their internal billing system...
          Vehicle control systems. In Northamptonshire.

I don't think it's for me to be honest....maybe if i was an F1 nut, but i'm not. And I can do without 12 hour days.

Comment

I imagine you would be very luck to get it then, since they will have lots of F1 fans who understand the domain desperate to work there.

Comment

I imagine you would be very luck to get it then, since they will have lots of F1 fans who understand the domain desperate to work there.
              They can keep it.

I take it that it's not even close to your field of work. But, really, thanks for your input.

Comment

I did a contract back in 94, working for Williams on the code for steering system. Got fired not long after not sure why?

Comment

I take it that it's not even close to your field of work. But, really, thanks for your input.
                  Now what are you on about? It's pretty clear that you'd have to be amazing to get picked over people who are both expert and passionate about the subject - same as if a random Java guy and an IB Java guy apply for the same IB Java role, and have equivalent tech skills.

Comment

Now what are you on about? It's pretty clear that you'd have to be amazing to get picked over people who are both expert and passionate about the subject - same as if a random Java guy and an IB Java guy apply for the same IB Java role, and have equivalent tech skills.
                    That's all well and good for java roles, where there is a huge pool of people to choose from - I assume (as you have) having little knowledge in the java field.

It's not quite the case in mine and I'm hired for quite specific skills which are not much different no matter the platform. But I do have powertrain ecu design experience also in this case.

Now I've just written the above I have realised that you're not actually comparing apples with apples, so I give in. You're equating passionate with industry experience.

Comment

Working...
                    X