• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Chocks Away, Ginger!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chocks Away, Ginger!

Talley Ho!

What?

Retro Thing: Supermarine Spitfire Mk26 Kitplane

I want one.

Is it a real one or a model one? Group security policy (implemented by me) doesn't allow access to these sites lol

Comment

Originally posted by Hill Station Murthy View Post
      Is it a real one or a model one? Group security policy (implemented by me) doesn't allow access to these sites lol
      Looks the real deal!

If you happen to have AU$118,250 burning a hole in your IPO-enhanced wallet, here's the perfect way to while away your leisure time. Supermarine Aircraft has been producing Spitfire kits for about a decade. Unlike the original incredibly difficult to build wood and fabric versions Like the original, this recreation is fabricated from durable aluminum. It has a respectable 193 knot (222 mph) top speed, and a range of approximately three hours -- enough to mount a quick early morning sortie to a neighbouring city.

Most of the really hard work has already been done for you, but you'll have to put in about 700 hours of fiddly effort to turn your kit into a lean, mean playing machine. The final product will be an 80% scale easy-to-fly reminder of the original. Expect to spend a couple of hundred hours learning the ropes in more docile aircraft before hopping into your new toy.
      It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

I want it now
        Me, me, me...

Comment

Why 80% scale? If they're going to go to all that effort, why knock a fifth of the size off??

Maybe it keeps it within the 'light-aircraft' class or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Hill Station Murthy View Post
            It's 80%. There is a 90% variant, but WTF don't they offer a full size model?
            The vegetarian option.

Comment

Werry werry good, Britishers! Do zey also make a Messerschmidt variant?
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
                It's 80%. There is a 90% variant, but WTF don't they offer a full size model?

Just fly it 20% or 10% lower and no one will know

Comment

Originally posted by Barley View Post
                  Just fly it 20% or 10% lower and no one will know
                  Ah no, you see, Britishers, ze Spitfire has a distinctive sound made by ze Rolls Royce Merlin engine; you vould hef to perfectly replicate zis sound to put ze tulips up Frau Merkel.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    Ah no, you see, Britishers, ze Spitfire has a distinctive sound made by ze Rolls Royce Merlin engine; you vould hef to perfectly replicate zis sound to put ze tulips up Frau Merkel.
                    Without doubt, one of the finest sounds there is!
                    The vegetarian option.

Comment

Working...
                    X