• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Email rule costs me £240

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Email rule costs me £240

Recently I came home to find a brown envelope containing a notice of a £60 fine for not paying the congestion charge. This was a bit of a surprise, as I registered for Congestion Charging autopay when it was introduced at the start of 2011, and have been travelling through the zone without worrying about forgetting to pay ever since. (Autopay is where they automatically charge you whenever they detect your licence plate.)

I logged in to TFL web site and found the credit card registered with them had expired. The algorithm I follow with regard to credit cards registered on various web sites is to wait for a warning email from each site, then update my registration with the replacement card expiry date.

Surely they should have sent me a warning, I thought.

Then I dimly recalled that in the many years before autopay, when I had to login daily to pay, and daily received an email receipt, I had set up a rule to automatically archive the receipts. I searched my archive and found two emails, one notifying me that my monthly payment had failed, and one a few days later saying my autopay was suspended. The suspension was a week before the fine arrived, since when I had travelled through the zone six times. I was able to pay for the current and previous days, leaving me with 4x£60 of fines for the other days.
    Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 22 November 2011, 14:34.

u r da man

Milan.

Comment

Oops

Appeal it [them]?
      It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
        Oops

Appeal it [them]?
        I did. They told me to feck off. (They have a power of discretion, but decided not to use it in this case.)

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
          I did. They told me to feck off. (They have a power of discretion, but decided not to use it in this case.)
          Which one of the six grounds did you make a representation under?

Ground one
          I was not the keeper at the time of the contravention e.g. I have never been the keeper, I ceased to be the keeper, I became the keeper after the date of the contravention
          Ground two
          I had paid the Congestion Charge due for the vehicle used on that date, in the time and manner required by the charging scheme
          Ground three
          No penalty charge is payable under the charging scheme e.g. I was not within the charging area during charging hours
          Ground four
          The vehicle was used or kept without my consent e.g. stolen
          Ground five
          The penalty charge exceeds the amount payable in the circumstances of the case, e.g. I have been requested to pay a penalty charge amount above that detailed in the regulations
          Ground six
          We are a vehicle hire firm and the vehicle was hired under an agreement at the time and the person liable signed a statement of liability for any resulting penalty charges
          "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

There was also an "other" category, which is I presume the one that allows them to use their discretion.

Comment

Working...
            X