• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

False memories - proof of the matrix or parallel universe?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

False memories - proof of the matrix or parallel universe?

Realised another false memory last night and it's time someone did a study into whether they prove we are in the matrix or my personal theory:

Every time we sleep we wake up in a slightly different parallel universe where certain things we remember are no longer true.

I can't be the only one experiencing this.

Two movie related false memories I've had:

1. In the original Star Wars trilogy I remember a scene where it shows how Darth Vader got his injuries. It showed him in a boat on a river of lava and he fell in. Always assumed it was a scene cut from the later releases but can't find anything about that scene, despite a new version of the scene appearing in a prequel movie recently. I haven't read the books (i.e. it wasn't my imagination coming up with the memory) so no idea where that memory came from.

2. Was watching an old 70s horror movie last night called Fright starring Dennis Waterman and the super-sexy (at the time) Susan George. I remember watching the movie as a kid as part of the usual friday night horror movie broadcasts, but always remembered Dennis Waterman being hung from a tree and being discovered by the babysitter. Not according to the movie I watched last night.

I've also had a few other false memories. One involving an uncle and a car accident from before I was born (was life changing so not something you forget easily once told), and until recently I always thought the circumstances were totally different to what my mum recently said, and can't see any reason for them to have changed the story over time.

So something is playing silly buggers with my memory.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Are you familiar with the substance known as "beer"?
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

. . . or the condition known as 'dementia'?
      The vegetarian option.

Comment

I have a crystal clear memory of my beloved Bolton Wanderers playing non-league Barrow at Burnden in the FA Cup one crisp January saturday afternoon, Third Round Day, sometime in the late Seventies

I can still see the packed Embankment End, a lot had come down from Barrow and they filled there allocation.

Except we've never played Barrow in the FA Cup, yet I am absolutely convinced I was at the game, we won 1-0, I distinctly remember because I was expecting a landslide....

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
          . . . or the condition known as 'dementia'?

That's more likely than the beer theory.

I was knocked off a bicycle when I was 10 (by a learner driver, I bet that tulip him up ) but as far as I know got away with a chipped tooth and busted lip, but a bit of brain damage is possible.

I still think there's something bigger going on.
          Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            I have a crystal clear memory ....
            Welcome to the party pal.

Maybe some dreams are so lucid that they get mistaken for genuine memories.

Or it's aliens experimenting on us.
            Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

I still think there's something bigger going on.
              I think there are different versions of films, and sometimes they switch the version of a film being broadcast, in order to unsettle the general population. Quite why "they" want to do this is a mystery though.
              Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

People often misunderstand how likely random events occur.

For instance toss a coin 20 times. The probability of getting 5 heads or tails in a row is about one in four.

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                  Realised another false memory last night and it's time someone did a study into whether they prove we are in the matrix or my personal theory:

Every time we sleep we wake up in a slightly different parallel universe where certain things we remember are no longer true.

I can't be the only one experiencing this.

Two movie related false memories I've had:

1. In the original Star Wars trilogy I remember a scene where it shows how Darth Vader got his injuries. It showed him in a boat on a river of lava and he fell in. Always assumed it was a scene cut from the later releases but can't find anything about that scene, despite a new version of the scene appearing in a prequel movie recently. I haven't read the books (i.e. it wasn't my imagination coming up with the memory) so no idea where that memory came from.

2. Was watching an old 70s horror movie last night called Fright starring Dennis Waterman and the super-sexy (at the time) Susan George. I remember watching the movie as a kid as part of the usual friday night horror movie broadcasts, but always remembered Dennis Waterman being hung from a tree and being discovered by the babysitter. Not according to the movie I watched last night.

I've also had a few other false memories. One involving an uncle and a car accident from before I was born (was life changing so not something you forget easily once told), and until recently I always thought the circumstances were totally different to what my mum recently said, and can't see any reason for them to have changed the story over time.

So something is playing silly buggers with my memory.
                  I distinctly remember that wanking was allowed in the office
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I distinctly remember being married to a beautiful sexy woman, living in a giant mansion, being witty, handsome and having £1M in the bank.

Yep, just checked, still true.

Comment

Working...
                    X