• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thomas Cook in trouble

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thomas Cook in trouble

Thomas Cook Plunges as Tour Operator Holds Fresh Bank Talks - Businessweek

Never used them myself. Surely it's easier and cheaper to book a flight yourself on the internet and book your own campsite?

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Thomas Cook Plunges as Tour Operator Holds Fresh Bank Talks - Businessweek

Never used them myself. Surely it's easier and cheaper to book a flight yourself on the internet and book your own campsite?
    I thought they were now ultra-efficient Germans?
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

No doubt the execs who proposed that they should be "dynamic" and leverage themselves up to the eyeballs will still get to keep their bonuses prompted by the huge influx of cash that was generated at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
        No doubt the execs who proposed that they should be "dynamic" and leverage themselves up to the eyeballs will still get to keep their bonuses prompted by the huge influx of cash that was generated at the time.
        It would be interesting to know their salaries and bonuses. Presumably shareholders would be mightily impressed with high ones as their shares have dropped 75% in value recently. Presumably more doom to come fort them too, as the western world sinks into deep tulip.

Comment

On the plus side Thomas Cook travellers will not have to worry about racing to the breakfast table anymore.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

KUATB

Comment

I went for a contract with them about 25 years ago, what a tuliphole and plonker of a team leader.

(Mind you, in them days even the contractors got the permie perks such as cheap holidays.)
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

That's probably another empty shop appearing then. On one posh street we've had Habitat, Borders, an upmarket estate agent and now Thomas Cook go poof!, and only Borders old premises has been occupied so far. All within the space of about 100m. I change my holiday money in the post office now anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  It would be interesting to know their salaries and bonuses. Presumably shareholders would be mightily impressed with high ones as their shares have dropped 75% in value recently. Presumably more doom to come fort them too, as the western world sinks into deep tulip.
                  More than likely they will ask for a pay rise - as they are .... "the best qualified to fix the problem"

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
                    Unlike my mates wife who is a TC shop manager on about £13k with unsociable hours.

I know contractors are hardly in a position to pontificate but my main reason for contracting is the fact the equivalent permie job wouldn't pay the bills. I feel for people who don't have the easy option to go freelance.
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                    X