• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When bankers were good

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When bankers were good

A documentary about Victorian bankers famed for their philanthropy.

BBC2, 9PM, presented by Ian Hislop.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

I've already set the VCR to stun.

Hislop is a good 'un too eh?

Comment

Typical BBC namby-pambyness. They should have called it "When bankers weren't w*nkers".

Comment

Banks went even bader 20 odd years ago didn't they? When bank managers were sacked and loyal customers were rewarded with lower savings rates, and every devious trick in the book applied to contriving to part customers from their money.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          Banks went even bader 20 odd years ago didn't they? When bank managers were sacked and loyal customers were rewarded with lower savings rates, and every devious trick in the book applied to contriving to part customers from their money.
          You know things are bad when the best rate for savings was offered by NS&I.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            Executive salaries have gone up 4000% - they gotta pay for that somehow eh?
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Not a bad program - but a bit repetitive. I fell asleep 5 minutes before the end - did Hislop have any suggestions to make things better?

Standards for bankers have slipped - but then they have for everyone.

Comment

I live near Lord Rothschild.

Did anyone hear that story in the program about the original Rotschild deciding to give a shilling to every child in Tring (who were mostly poor)? As an early welfare arrangement it was about as successful as today's.

After estimating how many kids there were, he set up tables on his lawn with heaps of coins and asked them to form a queue. However, parents bussed in hundreds of kids from elsewhere. Then each kid would get their shilling, queue again and get another one, and so on. Rotschild had to send out to banks in neighbouring towns to get more and more money. More fool him for trusting proles.

Comment

Working...
                X