• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has Oracle always been this naff?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has Oracle always been this naff?

Downloaded and installed the Oracle Client (32 bit) for windoze.

Try and run SQL Developer.

Path to java.exe please?

OK, downloads and installed JRE.

Enters path to java.exe

Ahh yes, that is indeed the path to java.exe, well done Suity but just to really really really hack you off, I'm going to play the J2SE SDK card now.

Suity googles this strange beast. Nothing called J2SE SDK that can be downloaded. Is this SQL Developer tool making this up just to annoy me?????

OK ok so it seems from a few forum posts that what I want is the JDK. Ha the JDK. Ok I download and install that.

Point the SQL Developer at this new fangled version.

Path to java.exe please?

I just told you where it is, and it's this SDK JDK thingamaflip you wanted. Here it is.

Path to java.exe please?

FOR FOOK SAKE I JUST TOLD YOU WHERE IT IS!!

No error. Just now asking for the path to java.exe.

Which begs the question, why would Oracle shift software with installers that omit the dependancies to leave you hunting round the internet like a zombie looking for this mythical J2SE SDK doobery whatsitpileofkak.

Blimey I miss SQL Server
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Which begs the question, why would Oracle shift software with installers that omit the dependancies to leave you hunting round the internet like a zombie looking for this mythical J2SE SDK doobery whatsitpileofkak.
    Oracle SQL Developer Downloads

First download on that page includes the JDK.

They also offer the software without dependencies for people who know what they are doing

I am guessing you have mixed and matched 32 and 64 bits.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Consider it a barrier to entry Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
        Consider it a barrier to entry Bob.
        The win32 client ships SQL developer WITHOUT any frakin java runtime. This is poo™

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          Oracle SQL Developer Downloads

First download on that page includes the JDK.

They also offer the software without dependencies for people who know what they are doing

I am guessing you have mixed and matched 32 and 64 bits.

No even I am not that schtoooopid.

Comment

Frig, I just download the one with the JDK and be done with it.

Wait til you get to the ODBC drivers...whoo whee did I have fun with those.

Any ideas why Oracle use their own Java installer and not a msi. Is that so they play hide and seek with the Windows Control Panel?
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

The win32 client ships SQL developer WITHOUT any frakin java runtime. This is poo™
              That's okay, just go here SQL Developer Early Adopter Download and download the one with the JDK.
              Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

I presume they use their own installer because windows isn't the only OS they support.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  I presume they use their own installer because windows isn't the only OS they support.
                  Maybe...doesn't reason with all the other products I use that supply a Windows msi and have versions on other platforms.

I suppose its their way of prodding us on to Oracle Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
                    Maybe...doesn't reason with all the other products I use that supply a Windows msi and have versions on other platforms.

I suppose its their way of prodding us on to Oracle Linux.
                    They would rather prod people onto Solaris IMO, but I think it's their way of providing a common interface for people who have to support oracle in a heterogenous environment.

I think the express version used an MSI last time I installed it.

Comment

Working...
                    X