• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How Does the Soyuz Space Capsule Land?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Does the Soyuz Space Capsule Land?

I was looking at some photographs of the Russian space capsule after it had landed.

This raised a question that I could not answer for I remenmber that the Apollo capsule would land in the sea after the deployment of parachutes.

This Soyuz capsule lands on solid ground - I should imagine that even the deployment of parachutes would be enough to break the fall sufficiently to prevent the occupants of the capsule from having a very uncomfortable landing.

Perhaps they are strapped in to padded compartments to soften the blow?

Perhaps there are some thrusters on the capsule that are deployed before it touches down - a bit like the thrusters on the Apollo lunar module?

you're assuming they actually went into space in the first place

The whole thing is a fraud, the sky is solid and nothing can get through it.
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Where I work we have a mock up of a Soyuz capsule - yep there barely room to swing a cat - and there aint to washing machin on the International Space Station - these guys have jsut septn 187 days on the ISS ...

To answer you quety Perhaps they are strapped in to padded compartments to soften the blow?

Picture belwo says it all ...

God Bless the ISS !

Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 23 November 2011, 13:44.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
        Where I work we have a mock up a Soyuz capsule - yep there barely room to swing a cat - and there aint to washing machin on the International Space Station - these guys have jsut septn 187 days on the ISS ...

Wot's that in the middle then? A big pressure cooker? Or a jerry can with some spare fuel?
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Where I work we have a mock up of a Soyuz capsule - yep there barely room to swing a cat - and there aint to washing machin on the International Space Station - these guys have jsut septn 187 days on the ISS ...

To answer you quety Perhaps they are strapped in to padded compartments to soften the blow?

Picture belwo says it all ...

God Bless the ISS !

What phone have you got? only asking to make sure I don't get it!
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Check this video to watch the Soyuz descent

http://video.nytimes.com/video/2011/...e-capsule.html

Heres a closer oook at the Soyuz Capsule

You see Murthy - this is a great site - anything you want to know - you will find it here !

Finally a picture of the reception for the Astronatus in Kazahkstan - and no I didnt take this one !
            Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 23 November 2011, 14:05.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              Wot's that in the middle then? A big pressure cooker? Or a jerry can with some spare fuel?
              The toilet?

Comment

Check this video to watch the Soyuz decent

http://video.nytimes.com/video/2011/...e-capsule.html

Heres a closer oook at the Soyuz Capsule

wtf * 2.

1) That is the slowest site I've had the misfortune to wait on for for a long time
                2) Seeing the landing makes it worth the wait though. wtf, it looks like a bomb has gone off. I knew it was a rocket assist landing, but wasn't expecting anything like that.

Comment

Finally a picture of the reception for the Astronatus in Kazahkstan - and no I didnt take this one !
                  Er, I think you'll find that is Vulcan, and the guy in the middle front is Emperor Ming the Merciless.

Comment

There are little retro rockets that cushion the landing but it's mainly huge parachutes that slow it down. Or not, in the case of Soyuz 1 which hit the ground at full pelt....

Comment

Working...
                    X