• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Semi-Boomed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Semi-Boomed

Contract extension for 6 months at 10% rate cut but about 25% below market value. Told them I wouldn't take it unless they included 2 week notice period in the contract. So I got the 2 week notice period. I tried to fight the cut but HR guys not budging.

Although I will lose some money (though 90% of x is better than 100% of nothing) I am only applying for roles paying the top end so it's gonna take a while.

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    Contract extension for 6 months at 10% rate cut but about 25% below market value. Told them I wouldn't take it unless they included 2 week notice period in the contract. So I got the 2 week notice period. I tried to fight the cut but HR guys not budging.

Although I will lose some money (though 90% of x is better than 100% of nothing) I am only applying for roles paying the top end so it's gonna take a while.
    Swallowing rate cuts suck. I had to reduce my day rate for another opportunity this time round. I won the gig but if I had to start there I would have seriously had the hump.

The good thing is you are in paid work until the new budgets arrive

Keep looking.

Comment

If you're already 25% below market value, then applying for top-end doesn't really make sense, surely? Would you not be better applying for anything that is an increase on what you are already on?
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        If you're already 25% below market value, then applying for top-end doesn't really make sense, surely? Would you not be better applying for anything that is an increase on what you are already on?
        That's a bit short-sighted isn't it? I have worked my way into a very strong position with client to the point the project would be very badly damaged by my departure (before you ask it's the guys above implementing the across the board cuts). The extension is 6 months and very close to home with very flexible hours and ability to work from home - i.e. rate isn't everything.

However if you get offered an increase of 25%+ for a local role then it is definitely worth the switch.

Also why switch for a role paying 10% extra when you can get much more if you wait a little bit longer?
        Last edited by NorthWestPerm2Contr; 23 November 2011, 15:30.

Comment

Congratulations on your semi.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Good to see your timescales are consistent - a moment ago, finding a role paying over 25% more than you are on would take
            it's gonna take a while.
            now it'll take
            a little bit longer
            You're in a strong position with a client who has just cut your rate by 10% on a job which was already substantially below market rate. Sounds like you're onto a good thing, keep at it.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              Good to see your timescales are consistent - a moment ago, finding a role paying over 25% more than you are on would take now it'll take

You're in a strong position with a client who has just cut your rate by 10% on a job which was already substantially below market rate. Sounds like you're onto a good thing, keep at it.
              Overall it's gonna take a while because I am being picky with the roles (since I can afford to be). The market rate is above my previous rate because I accepted it due to other factors (namely being close to home, home working, flex hours, nice project etc). Now it has been cut I am looking to get my real value rather than going back up to my previous rate. Not rocket science is it?

Comment

But if the client has just cut your rate by 10% on a job which was already substantially below market rate, how is that a strong position?

Just asking like.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                  But if the client has just cut your rate by 10% on a job which was already substantially below market rate, how is that a strong position?

Just asking like.
                  Because being bent over with your palms flat on the floor and pants round your ankles ready for your client to do as he wishes is much stronger than standing on only two legs I believe.
                  Last edited by northernladuk; 23 November 2011, 17:36. Reason: Corrections before FaQ gets here.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Becuase being bent over with your palms flat on the floor and pants round your ankles ready for your client to do as he wishes is much stronger than standing on only two legs I believe.
                    Actually it means you can take whatever you can get till you find something better.... No point rejecting the contract with nothing solid in your hand yet.

Comment

Working...
                    X