• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Christmas plans

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas plans

It's going to be a 'Smart-price' Christmas this year, what with the old man out of work again, and my rates well down on last year. It's tough with the kiddies wanting all the latest toys like their friends will be getting.

But we're planning to have a nice simple family get together, with my Mum coming down for a few days. Hoping that the old man's brother pops round for my Boxing Day spread.

What has everyone else got planned?

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    It's going to be a 'Smart-price' Christmas this year, what with the old man out of work again, and my rates well down on last year. It's tough with the kiddies wanting all the latest toys like their friends will be getting.

But we're planning to have a nice simple family get together, with my Mum coming down for a few days. Hoping that the old man's brother pops round for my Boxing Day spread.

A rather run ragged one for me.

Spending Christmas day and boxing day visiting by 96 year old grandfather in West Scotland staying at a local pub hotel that closes at 6pm, so a 6 pack and bottle of wine job by the time we get back to the hotel room.

Then visiting my sister and her family with baby expected this coming Monday just after Boxing Day over in Dublin, so will be out about a little over the festive season!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post

What a good thread! Very nice of you to ask.

Its obviously difficult once children start getting peer pressure - before then they are happy with anything and will even play with the box rather than the toy. Mrs BP plans through the year and picks stuff up whenever she sees it cheap.

My elder children alternate Christmas between my ex and me. Its her turn this year. So we will celebrate Christmas on the 26th (the younger child is too autistic to notice). The annoying thing is that my ex does not make a fuss over Christmas - she only wants them to annoy me.

Good news - I take the younger child to a Santa Express on the 24th. He loves trains - we often spend a Saturday doing a loop from our house (involving a 'normal' train, DLR train and tube train).

Not sure what to do about Christmas day though - its a real conundrum.

Comment

Christmas Day (24th here in Deutschland) will be spent at home for the first time ever, so it's a nice big xmas tree with real candles, lots of delicious food and lots of presents under the tree, a precedent must be set otherwise bahh humbug gf chef will get her way and we won't have a tree (no need as Germans only put it up xmas eve and have it for a week and we're off visiting all but the first day).

25th & 26th is visiting her family

27th we fly back to the UK to visit friends in Manchester & West Yorkshire dales ready for New Year.
        The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Austerity Christmas for me.

High street retailers brace themselves for an austerity Christmas | Business | The Guardian

Comment

Austerity Xmas so no presents for you lot.

Back to Work - are there no workhouses ?

Grumling now are we - think yourslef lucky that you have a job.

Humbug.

Comment

Do we really need to buy each other tulip for Christmas? Why not show affection in less materialistic ways, or make a present out of biodegradable string or something, like in the good old days. Shops made this Christmas buying bonanza tulip up.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                Do we really need to buy each other tulip for Christmas? Why not show affection in less materialistic ways, or make a present out of biodegradable string or something, like in the good old days. Shops made this Christmas buying bonanza tulip up.
                Agree 100%. Is it time to ban Christmas presents?
                The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
                  By giving a gift to someone, or their children, you create an obligation on them to do the same, whether they can afford to do so or not. If that obligation is something they will struggle to fulfil, then you’re actually letting them down.
                  Nicely put. By giving presents you are little better than a scumbag.

Comment

what a load of misers you all are... what is wrong with getting a gift of something special that you know your partner will appreciate and would also unlikely buy it themself because they see it as too much to spend?

I do this not because I expect a gift in return of equal value but because I like to see the look of joy on her face when she realises what it is and that it is something that she very much wants. This is then compounded many times in the future when I see her use the gift and get great enjoyment out of it.

Life is for enjoyment IMO and treating people to gifts is one of those enjoyments.

NB: I know how your minds work and in the above example I was referring to last years present of a new semi-pro digital camera.
                    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Working...
                    X