• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

German bond yields are now higher than UK!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German bond yields are now higher than UK!

They've risen quite sharply today after yesterday's failed auction.

UK gilt yields below German bond yields show that the price of being in the Euro is rising | Mindful Money

Investors are pricing in the risk of Germany (1) Bailing out the Euro or (2) Not bailing out the Euro.
    Either way Germany will take a massive hit.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Europe is speaking English again.

Take that Fritz

3-Nil!
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Europe is speaking English again.

Take that Fritz

3-Nil!

I think the point is Germany vs UK is no contest, economy wise. Germany wins.
      But Germany with the PIIGS weighing it down vs UK is also no contest. UK wins.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Laughing at Europe's problems from the U.K. though is akin to someone on the titanic laughing at the Captain for hitting an Iceberg.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          They've risen quite sharply today after yesterday's failed auction.

UK gilt yields below German bond yields show that the price of being in the Euro is rising | Mindful Money

Investors are pricing in the risk of Germany (1) Bailing out the Euro or (2) Not bailing out the Euro.
          Either way Germany will take a massive hit.
          Yes,as I stated in my earlier post to the Not Another EU Meeting thread:

Well to be perfectly honest I think they have little choice but to convey the illusion of some kind of activity after yesterday's markets were roiled by tGermany's failed bond market.

I read in today's Telegraph that they yeilds on German 10 year bund is not higher than that of the UK 10 year gilt.

This must surely send a a message loud and clear that the writing is on the wall. The Germans must stop their bluffing game (for that is indeed what it is) and acquiesce to the demands of Mr. Barroso and accept that these Eurobands (or stability bonds as they have been rebranded) are the only way to give any chance to the long term survival of EMU.

As I mentioned in my post yesterday, the longer the Germans hold out with this bluffing gane, the greater the sweeteners they will demand for agreeing to be lender of last resort. This will mean more Germany not less Germany.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
            Laughing at Europe's problems from the U.K. though is akin to someone on the titanic laughing at the Captain for hitting an Iceberg.
            Depends if your getting in the lifeboat.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              Depends if your getting in the lifeboat.
              Usually it women and children first, so you would be OK

Comment

Can someone explain these bond yields to someone who knows "not a lot" about bonds? I always expect higher yields equates to better.
                Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
                  Can someone explain these bond yields to someone who knows "not a lot" about bonds? I always expect higher yields equates to better.
                  Yield is the annual payment that the bond issuer needs to pay to holders of the bonds, so a country might issue 10 year bonds to raise money, if the yield was 3% then they need to pay 3% of the face value every year as well as paying back the face value on maturity. So higher is better for the holder but not the issuer.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
                    Usually it women and children first, so you would be OK
                    Two good posts in row... nice one.

Comment

Working...
                    X