• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brown stuff

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brown stuff

I need a new coffee machine.

I used to have a Gaggia, it was OK (I could make better coffee with it than most shops sell) but it broke down due to corrosion in the brewhead as a result of the descaling (ooh the irony). So I'm thinking of investing in something a bit more upmarket & durable.

I'm thinking of one of these at the moment, which gets some very good write ups:

Caff Italia Professional Coffee Machines: Rancilio Silvia V3 2011 + Rancilio Crema Naked portafilter + 3 X 500 Gr. Ground Coffee !!! -Ref. RANSILV, Rancilio Coffee Machines, RASI

Although these look pretty good as well:

Caff Italia Professional Coffee Machines: Isomac Zaffiro Stainless Steel Coffee Machine -Ref.ISO210ZAF, Isomac Milano Coffee Machine, e-isomac

Any other recommendations? I'm really looking to stay under a grand, and avoid anything that requires it's own plumbing or electrical spur.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Any other recommendations? I'm really looking to stay under a grand, and avoid anything that requires it's own plumbing or electrical spur.
    When I was working in Dubai I once stayed in a hotel.

In this hotel in the bedrooms the bedside nightstand had a coffee / tea maker that was the model of the mosque.

This teamaker also had a clock and it was possible to set the alarm to wake you up but when the alarm went off the Gran Mufti came through the door of the mosque with a steaming hot cup of cofee to start your day with!

Comment

I need a new coffee machine.

I used to have a Gaggia, it was OK (I could make better coffee with it than most shops sell) but it broke down due to corrosion in the brewhead as a result of the descaling (ooh the irony). So I'm thinking of investing in something a bit more upmarket & durable.

I'm thinking of one of these at the moment, which gets some very good write ups:

Caff Italia Professional Coffee Machines: Rancilio Silvia V3 2011 + Rancilio Crema Naked portafilter + 3 X 500 Gr. Ground Coffee !!! -Ref. RANSILV, Rancilio Coffee Machines, RASI

Although these look pretty good as well:

Caff Italia Professional Coffee Machines: Isomac Zaffiro Stainless Steel Coffee Machine -Ref.ISO210ZAF, Isomac Milano Coffee Machine, e-isomac

I have a Siemens EQ7 and I'm very pleased with it. It DID break down once, but the service by Siemens was excellent, sending a chappy to my house only hours after I called, with a temporary replacement machine, and then repairing, no questions asked, no invoices involved and returning to me after a week.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I had a saeco machine. Great. Sent it for service after 4 years. They replaced the entire mechanism and sent it back.
        Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Hmmm thats worrying.. I have a Gaggia that I bought about 4-5 years ago. It frequently needs descaling not helped by our very hard water (Thames water).

I do like making my own coffee, and even have a coffee grinder to make a decent fresh brew, but I must say I get fed up of cleaning the shower head, drip tray, hoses and water tank out. And the pump makes a horrible noise if it hasn't been used for a while. Descaling can take hours too.

I'm thinking of moving back to filter coffee. I like the idea of trying out different types of beans rather than constantly using harsh espresso beans. Sometimes I just want a black coffee, and americano based on espresso is just foul IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
            Hmmm thats worrying.. I have a Gaggia that I bought about 4-5 years ago. It frequently needs descaling not helped by our very hard water (Thames water).
            Yes, I'm the same. I think in my case the problem was that I let the descaler sit in there for a while and it corroded the inside of the head which subsequently got blocked.

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
            I do like making my own coffee, and even have a coffee grinder to make a decent fresh brew, but I must say I get fed up of cleaning the shower head, drip tray, hoses and water tank out. And the pump makes a horrible noise if it hasn't been used for a while. Descaling can take hours too.

I'm thinking of moving back to filter coffee. I like the idea of trying out different types of beans rather than constantly using harsh espresso beans. Sometimes I just want a black coffee, and americano based on espresso is just foul IMO.
            You can use any beans in your espresso machine though. I usually go with whittards colombian, sometimes blue mountain jamaican or kenya peaberry which are both pretty mild, and guatemalan elephant for a bit of a kick. I quite like the tinned Illy stuff as well.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Yes, I'm the same. I think in my case the problem was that I let the descaler sit in there for a while and it corroded the inside of the head which subsequently got blocked.

You can use any beans in your espresso machine though. I usually go with whittards colombian, sometimes blue mountain jamaican or kenya peaberry which are both pretty mild, and guatemalan elephant for a bit of a kick. I quite like the tinned Illy stuff as well.
              If it has an automatic grinder then try not to use beans that are too oily as they can stick and clog up the mechanism. Illy and Lavazza red or black work well in espresso machines.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                If it has an automatic grinder then try not to use beans that are too oily as they can stick and clog up the mechanism. Illy and Lavazza red or black work well in espresso machines.
                I have a separate grinder but it does need a clean now and then.

Comment

On TV, Currys were advertising this for £90 but on their site it lists £150.

GAGGIA Cubika Plus RI8151/60 Espresso Machine - Black buy online | Currys

Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    On TV, Currys were advertising this for £90 but on their site it lists £150.

GAGGIA Cubika Plus RI8151/60 Espresso Machine - Black buy online | Currys
                    Cor!, they've come down in price.
                    I've just looked up my old machine and its going for about £170, although I don't think they make it anymore. I paid about £400 from a department store!

Comment

Working...
                    X